Is disconnected offline Collector content secured?

07-15-2015 10:39 AM
MikeRadko
New Contributor III

Hello,

I want to use Portal and Collector to perform field collection in remote locations, so I need to download base map and editable content onto my phone (or tablet) and work offline.  Question is when I bring this data offline and onto my device is it, or can it be secured such that no one else could make the content usable?  We have corporate tablets that we can secure, but we are wondering if we would be exposing ourselves should someone use a personal smart phone to perform offline data collection.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III

Is your concern with someone* else:

- getting to the data already downloaded to the the tablet or

- being able to download your data to a different device

*Is someone staff and / or the public?

0 Kudos
MikeRadko
New Contributor III

Someone* is the public finding an unsecured phone with data already downloaded onto it.  Could that data on a lost or stolen phone be taken off and used?  I can't find any reference in online help that can tell me what format the downloaded offline content is stored in.

The corporate tablets are secured on multiple levels, so we are pretty confident that if one was lost or stolen an individual would have difficulty accessing its contents.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

I believe they could (with things like Copy Runtime Geodatabase To File Geodatabase), but they'd need Esri software to do it - probably quite unlikely for a random person on the street. I guess device security is your best, immediate bet for now for keeping it secure.

0 Kudos