Is Collector compatible with a Trimble R1 GNSS receiver using the Trimble Viewpoint RTX correction service?

06-30-2015 02:30 PM
AmandaRenner
New Contributor II

Does anyone know if you can use the Trimble Viewpoint RTX correction service with a Trimble R1 GNSS receiver and Collector?  I'm having trouble finding any documentation on it.  Trimble mentions that it is compatible with all of their data collection apps like TerraFlex but I'm not seeing any other non-Trimble software on the list.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
45 Replies
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

Mark,

Thanks for the info.  I have mock locations enabled.  If I use the RTX app I can bluetooth connect to the R10 and see satellites.  Oddly if I add the R10 as a bluetooth device through android first, the RTX app won't connect.  If I delete the Bluetooth pair, then open the RTX app first, it will initiate a new pairing with the R10.  I am curious if the new "add trusted device" in Android 5.0 that pops up when you make the connection is messing things up.  When i try this same procedure with the GNSS app (unpair, open app, make new pair through app), I get the popup for entering the password, but after typing in 0000, it looks like it is going to work, but then I get a failure message.

I wifi connected to the R10, and logged into its ip address .  There are a lot of configuration options in there.  I am sure it is just a check box someplace that is keeping this from working.

Dan

0 Kudos
DanAllen

I contacted Trimble, and our R10 is about 5 firmware versions out of date, and updating to current should fix the bluetooth connection issue.

0 Kudos
MarkYerington

Great!! The firmware, yes we have been burned in the past with firmware so

always good to run upgrades periodically. Hope this works for you.

Mark Yerington, GISP

MAGIC GIS Systems Analyst

3205 CEDAR ST | MUSCATINE, IA 52761

PH: 563.262.3316 | CELL: 563.260.4525

0 Kudos
MuneshwarParasram
New Contributor

How do you retrieve the coordinates collected using the Collector app  the GNSS utility app and the R1 GNSS receiver if you are not using an internet connection outdoors? Where can i download the coordinate data?

0 Kudos
DanAllen

Apple's core location services rounds to the decimeter level for elevation from what i have seen using the EOS GNSS receiver.  Does the Trimble App override the core Apple location feed and allow points to be stored to a lat long precision of 8 decimal places?  Or does it get rounded up?

0 Kudos
JulindaDyli1
New Contributor

Dan Allen. I have no idea about EOS GNSS. As i know something for sure is that you can't say that you can achieve that accuracy worldwide. I know in Europe with R1 you can get 10 cm . But in different continents depend from coverage of the satellites, type of satellite and correction signal. So same is even for iphone. Depend from your location.  🙂 

Date:Thu, 8 Oct, 2015 at 19:35

Subject:Re: - Is Collector compatible with a Trimble R1 GNSS receiver using the Trimble Viewpoint RTX correction service?

GeoNet

Is Collector compatible with a Trimble R1 GNSS receiver using the Trimble Viewpoint RTX correction service?

reply from Dan Allen in Collector for ArcGIS - View the full discussion

Apple's core location services rounds to the decimeter level for elevation from what i have seen using the EOS GNSS receiver.  Does the Trimble App override the core Apple location feed and allow points to be stored to a lat long precision of 8 decimal places?  Or does it get rounded up?

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on GeoNet Start a new discussion in Collector for ArcGIS by email or at GeoNet Following Is Collector compatible with a Trimble R1 GNSS receiver using the Trimble Viewpoint RTX correction service? in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by GeoNet because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from GeoNet, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

0 Kudos
DanAllen

Until told otherwise, or a new update, it appears Collector just is not setup to collect high accurcay GPS data, even if you can connect to a bluetooth GPS receiver.  It does not store a Z elevation even if the feature is z enabled, and it does not store PDOP, horizontal, vertical precision values typically associated with High accuracy GPS.

I am hoping someone from ESRI can clarify, and or provide a status update on better support for RTK GPS in hopefully the upcoming release of Collector.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Dan,

Thanks for your feedback. From Collector for ArcGIS v10.3.4 is out | ArcGIS Blog , you can see we are working on better support for high accuracy solution. The initial release v10.3.5 will include the following capabilities:

• High accuracy GNSS receivers – this includes support for external GNSS receivers (datum transformation settings, read and display of accuracy from external receivers, notifications when connected/disconnected).
0 Kudos
DanAllen

Thank you for the update.  Do you know if 10.3.5 will include support for populating the "Z" field to store the GPS elevation from the high accuracy GPS receiver?

Dan

MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

In this initial release, it won't include Z field support.

-Miaogeng