Is anyone having trouble downloading maps this morning?

Jump to solution
07-29-2021 04:29 AM
PatrickFilyer
Occasional Contributor II

I am getting the error message: Could not Connect to the Server when downloading maps with a new base map. If I download a map with a base map that is already on the device the map successfully downloads. This is only happening on collector classic. 

I do realize that they did maintenance on the tilebasemaps last night as per this message:

"We will be performing maintenance on our tilebasemaps systems between 8:00pm PST and 10:00pm PST on July 28th. While we don't anticipate any significant downtime, you may experience some minimal disruptions during this maintenance period."

I am wondering if this has anything to do with what I am experiencing this morning. 

Update: This is only a problem with IOS collector classic. 

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

This issue has been identified as a defect, specific to iOS devices.

Being that Collector Classic will no longer be undergoing development, we are unlikely to see a fix for this issue, unless there is an organic fix that comes out of future versions of iOS.

Workarounds for this issue are as follows:

• Use ArcGIS Collector instead
  • Use ArcGIS Field Maps instead
  • Revert devices to iOS versions that were previously compatible.
  • Use Collector Classic on an Android device instead.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Prob that same as this  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-collector-questions/yet-more-offline-areas-failing-to-download-...

It has gotten better for us but I have yet to hear back from support.

0 Kudos
ThomasHamill

@PatrickFilyer, you can always check the ArcGIS Online Health Dashboard to see if it is experiencing any hiccups:  https://status.arcgis.com/ 

Kindest Regards,

t
MichaelDenlinger
New Contributor

We have been having the same message appear within Collector Classic when trying to download into offline mode and the downloads just fail when i try to use the same maps in Collector.  These are all fresh downloads of the maps, including basemaps.  Using all IOS devices (Iphone 7 and Ipad Air 2). The maps worked 2 weeks ago for our last field visit.  Checked the status page and everything looks green.  Am able to use the devices to collect data in "online" mode, just to rule out if it might have been a feature class or something i added causing an issue.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

DavidRichey
Occasional Contributor

If you copied and pasted a layer into your map, that can prevent download. just one thought to check.

MichaelDenlinger
New Contributor

Thanks for suggestion.  I just created a map from scratch, added a geodatabase that has worked in the past along with the aerial basemap, same result.  Removed the geodatabase and tried another one, same message, "Cannot connect to server".

PatrickFilyer

I created a new map in AGOL a long with a new point feature layer using the AGOL templates and I still can't download a map. 

mhs
by
New Contributor

It appears related to iOS 14.7 and/or iOS 14.7.1. I tested on several iPhones that have iOS 14.7.1 and none of them are able to download maps for offline use in any of the three apps: Classic, Collector, and Field Maps. We are currently unable to download ANY maps for offline use in ANY app with the 14.7.1 iphones.

I was able to test on an iPhone with 14.6 and it worked fine with the exact same maps. Also worked fine on an Android-based device.

-Mike

GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

This issue has been identified as a defect, specific to iOS devices.

Being that Collector Classic will no longer be undergoing development, we are unlikely to see a fix for this issue, unless there is an organic fix that comes out of future versions of iOS.

Workarounds for this issue are as follows:

• Use ArcGIS Collector instead
  • Use ArcGIS Field Maps instead
  • Revert devices to iOS versions that were previously compatible.
  • Use Collector Classic on an Android device instead.
mhs
by
New Contributor

Here is some closure for our organization's issue:

After working through this with ESRI (who was very responsive, BTW), I also learned that Field Maps (and I think Collector) do not support maps with repeated layers in them. They will work with layers/view layers, just not the original hosted layer added twice. So, after editing our maps to remove the duplicate layers, we are able to open them in Collector and Field Maps, but not Collector Classic (which as Glen stated, is not unexpected). As an organization, we are transitioning to Field Maps.

I still find it odd that the maps with duplicate layers worked fine in Android and older iOS versions, but I guess this is just the impetus we needed to switch to Field Maps. 🙂

-Mike