iOS Collector not downloading or displaying layers from 10.3.1 ArcGIS for server

10-24-2015 10:28 AM
JadeFreeman
Occasional Contributor III

Is anyone else experiencing issues when trying to use feature services on ArcGIS for Server 10.3.1 with the iOS version of Collector (v10.3.5)?  I originally thought the issue might have been with ArcGIS server (see Missing Layers).  However, I've since been able to test on the Android version of Collector (v10.3.4) and feature services from our 10.3.1 ArcGIS for Server work just fine.

This is a somewhat urgent issue for us as approximately 95% of workforce (~100+ devices) are iOS devices and this is preventing us from completing our migration to ArcGIS for Server 10.3 from 10.1.

Thanks,

Jade

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Jade,

I know your SSL are enabled. Is the certificate from self-signed or certificate authority? Self-signed certificate won't work well in Collector iOS.

Is your server federated to the portal or stand-alone? What is your security configuration in Portal and Server?

-Miaogeng

0 Kudos
JadeFreeman

It uses a CA certificate (InCommon Server CA).  However, both web adaptors to my 10.3.1 server and my 10.2.1 server are setup on the same webserver and site and thus both use the same certificate.  As mentioned, the 10.2.1 services work in both iOS and Android versions of Collector but ONLY the 10.2.1 services work in the iOS version.  It seems unlikely to be a certificate issue.

Our portal is stand-alone but both Portal and both the 10.3.1 and 10.2.1 servers are configured to use Active Directory for both users and groups.  Portal is additionally configured to allow anonymous access and all editable feature services are secured.  And yes, the account I'm logging into the device with has the necessary privileges to use those services.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you use Fiddler to capture the traffic following Configure Fiddler to Capture Web Traffic from an iPhone/iPad | Support Services Blog (iOS)? Also you can try to use the browser in your iOS device and see if you can see the map/service.

JadeFreeman

Thank you, we are going to set up fiddler on our office wireless network and will post back.  I can confirm the maps and services are accessible from both Chrome and Safari on iOS devices.

0 Kudos
JadeFreeman

Miaogeng Zhang​,

So we have fiddler setup to act as a proxy server and have enabled HTTPS decryption.  We have also updated the proxy settings on an iPhone to route thru this server/port.

However, when trying to connect to our portal we get an error message:

Portal Not Found

Could not find fis.ipf.msu.edu.  Please check the URL and try again

Illegal start of token [<]

Other applications seem to be working fine thru the proxy.  For instance, capturing tons of traffic to our exchange server.  Leads me to believe that Fiddler is setup correctly and is capturing traffic.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
JadeFreeman

If I enable the proxy settings after Collector connects to the portal and displays the login screen, once I fill in my username and password and login, I get the following response in Collector:

(screenshot from Fiddler but same message displayed in Collector)

0 Kudos
JadeFreeman

Set Fiddler to delete the Proxy-Connection header and was able to log into my portal and open maps.  Looking at the requests in Fiddler, it appears that when Collector tries to access the secured service, the ArcGIS server responds with a 499 Token required error:

Collector then immediately responds with another request that includes a token (without prompting for credentials to generate a token).  The ArcGIS Server then responds with a code 498 Invalid token error:

0 Kudos
JadeFreeman

I thought maybe Collector was caching an expired token for the ArcGIS service however I uninstalled and reinstalled the application and saw the exact same sequence of requests and responses.

I'm pretty sure that Collector is providing the token it gets for the portal to the secured feature service.  Our portal and ArcGIS server our not federated so I don't know why Collector would be trying to do this.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Jade,

Your Portal and Server are the same version. You can federate your server to the portal. Are you able to test Federated Server and see if it works?

-Morgan

0 Kudos