How to resolve Pre-Planned Work Area Woes?

01-24-2020 12:29 PM
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

We have a Portal 10.7.1 and GIS Server 10.7.1 as the hosting server.  We are using the most current Collector on iOS.

I've created a web map and added a hosted layer created from a template in Portal.  The layer is sync enabled and the web map is offline enabled.

In Collector on iOS, the On-Demand workflow is able to download the Map Area, however the Pre-Planned Map Areas fail every time saying that the replica with guid cannot be found on the server.

Has anyone seen this behavior and been able to determine the cause?  We are thinking it is auth related, but since it works with one workflow and not the other I am hoping a more technical esri person could chime in.  Is this a bug, or is our system's auth broken somehow?

thanks!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndrewWhitman1
Esri Contributor

Greetings Richard, 

Can you provide the exact text of the error? Also, we should be able to verify whether a feature service has a replica through the REST endpoint. 

I am curious to know whether this replica simply cannot be found or if the replica was never created due to some failure. 

Can you screenshot the error or perhaps just provide the text? 

0 Kudos
RichardHughes2

Andrew,

A colleague of mine provide me this link to an existing bug that is resolved in 10.8.  

BUG-000124867: When attempting to download a managed map area in Co.. 

That pretty much answers my question on the issue, but I've yet to do much additional testing using the workaround.

From the SQL Server side it did look like there were issues with the replicas being valid.

AndrewWhitman1
Esri Contributor

HI Richard, 

If you call into Esri Support Services, we can attach you to the defect if you would like. This way you can get updates on when this defect is resolved. 

-Andrew 

0 Kudos
RichardHughes2

Andrew,

I did some testing this morning and found that when publishing to the portaladmin, built-in account, to the GIS Server on port 6443 and adding that as a layer to Portal, the Offline Area Pre-Planned packaging works.  When publishing the services from Pro or ArcMap through the web adaptor, the Pre-Planned Areas fail to download onto the Device.  The On-Demand areas in Collector do work using the SAML Portal Users.

Since we are using SAML to publish to Portal, the workaround really does not provide us with a solution, just a means to test the issue.

I think we are limited to using the On-Demand workflow, but for how long?

Is this issue something that can be patched, or do will we have to postpone our plans until a later release?  This change from Pre-Planned to On-Demand drastically changes our implementation plans company wide.  It seems like this could be a critical issue that would impact a lot of enterprises and a patch could possibly help a whole lot of customers facing the same issue.  I will talk to my manager and see about getting notifications from Esri support on the issue since I don't have the contact myself.

Thanks!

Rich

0 Kudos