How to "Use Managed App Configuration with ArcGIS Enterprise"?

Jump to solution
10-19-2017 06:18 AM
TL2
by
Occasional Contributor III

As mentioned with the new release you can now "Use Managed App Configuration with ArcGIS Enterprise" with Collector.  It is great that we are now able to do this, but some guidance as to how would be more than helpful.  Below is a screenshot from the Collector MDM settings.  I tried to follow the instructions for the Explorer for ArcGIS MDM settings setting "portalURL" as my Key and my portal url as my string.  did not work.

How do you do it?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Tucker,

I am not a MDM expect by any means, but I can certainly try to help you. I've used Meraki and MobileIron to set up a "portalURL" for managed devices. What MDM are you using? and what is the version of Collector you're using?

As you learned in the blog post Mobile Application Management and Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog, you'll need to specify three things:

- key ("portalURL")

- type (String/Text)

- value ("https://myportal.com/home")

Once you have these settings populated, you should simply be able to push these settings to the managed devices.

Feel free to shoot me an email at jwhitney@esri.com and we can discuss in more detail.

Joel

View solution in original post

11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Tucker,

I am not a MDM expect by any means, but I can certainly try to help you. I've used Meraki and MobileIron to set up a "portalURL" for managed devices. What MDM are you using? and what is the version of Collector you're using?

As you learned in the blog post Mobile Application Management and Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog, you'll need to specify three things:

- key ("portalURL")

- type (String/Text)

- value ("https://myportal.com/home")

Once you have these settings populated, you should simply be able to push these settings to the managed devices.

Feel free to shoot me an email at jwhitney@esri.com and we can discuss in more detail.

Joel

GISSupport3

What are the other settings (if any) one can configure?

Thanks

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey GIS Support‌,

Currently, the "portalURL" is the only parameter we are looking for in the config settings. We haven't really heard the need for others. 

Are there any specific parameters that you would want to see added?

Joel

TL2
by

Is there a way to push .tpk basemap files for offline data collection with the Collector deployment?  Also, is there a way to turn off the ArcGIS Account option and only have the Enterprise option?

Thanks.

DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tucker-

Deploying TPKs is not supported via this mechanism at this point.  We're looking at ways to simplify that deployment though as part of Aurora. 

As far as removing the ArcGIS account option, that is a requirement I've not heard before.  Is the intent here to simplify the sign in experience for users who may not understand the difference?

JoshuaCarver-Brown1
New Contributor III

I second the need to deploy TPKs through a MDM. This would be a huge time save.

0 Kudos
GISSupport3

Hey, hey

I know nothing about MDM and other than TLongSUGF‌ suggestions ... a different splash screen?

Obviously zero functional use and would impress manangers

0 Kudos
TL2
by

Yes, our users are enterprise only.  We have Survey 123 & Collector now configured to our portal, but users must still select "Sign in with your Enterprise Account".  They do get confused between the two.  One would think that if a portal is configured, the option to turn ArcGIS Online off 

I requested beta testing for Aurora, but have not heard anything in return.  Can I get in on that please?

DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for clarifying the scenario and use case.  Will add that to the list of future considerations across apps in general.  Often it still makes sense for some organizations to provide access to users without domain accounts (e.g. contractors) so they would use an ArcGIS account instead.  

We're putting the finishing touches on the first beta of Aurora.  We'll be adding you to the list once it's available.  We'll certainly be blogging about this as well.  Looking forward to your feedback.

0 Kudos