How to QC data collected in collector in arcmap and publish back

09-08-2017 04:29 AM
VaL
by
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I have the following setup:

A webmap in Arcgis online. This uses some layers and is shared with collector. Users go out in the field and add points, lines and polygons. Like this

I then can export the collected data as FGDB and use in Arcmap desktop. I do some QC and more often than not there are errors and I fix them.

The problem: How do I get the QCed data form the FGDB back to AG online/collector?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Vasil,

Add the hosted feature service from ArcGIS Online to ArcMap by first signing in to AGOL (File > Sign In).  In the Catalog pane, browse to 'My Hosted Services' and add the service to ArcMap.  You can then make a local copy for editing:

Making a local copy of a feature service for editing—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Once you're finished editing, you can then synchronize these edits back to the AGOL Feature Service:

Synchronizing local edits with the server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

VaL
by
New Contributor III

Hi Jake,

we are talking about using arcmap here, not arcgis pro? right?

0 Kudos
VaL
by
New Contributor III

I did try it and it works in ArcMap. 

However one thing puzzles me - if I add a new attribute field in arcmap and then sync to the AGOL, the new field is not shown/reflected in the HFS.

Like wise if I add a new field from AGOL to the HFS, I can see the new field in the browser, but when I create a local copy the new field is not is it.

Is this to be expected?

Otherwise I can change geometries and attributes OK.

0 Kudos
VaL
by
New Contributor III

Just to expand the question a bit.

I have 2 images attached to every feature in the layer/feature class. The total size of the FGDB is 7 GB. It takes ages to download and upload. I generally don't need to do any edits to the images, so is there a way to make a local copy of the features only, and do not download the images?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

You can use the following tool to download the data, and optionally not include the attachments.

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-6496-download-arcgis-online-feature-service-or-arcgis-server-fea... 

However, you will need to re-publish and overwrite the previous service once you are finished editing.

VaL
by
New Contributor III

Hi Jake

Thanks.

Did I get this right? So the workflow will be.

1. Use your tool to download the data only (to FGDB) but not the attachments.

2. Do my edits to the data

3. Publish back to AGOL and use the option to overwrite and existing service.

Is that so?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Actually, not that I think about it, overwriting the service without the attachments will remove the attachments in the hosted feature service, so that option will not work. 

I would recommend using ArcGIS Pro to perform your edits.  You can bring the hosted feature service into your ArcGIS Pro project and make edits directly to the hosted feature service.

0 Kudos
VaL
by
New Contributor III

I did a new test on a small area when creating the local copy for editing. It seems that the attachments are not downloaded by default. So it seems there is no problem. It still takes time though - around 3 mins for 1.8 MB local FGDB.

Can anyone confirm that the process of creating local copy doesn't download the attachments.

0 Kudos
zkovacs
Occasional Contributor III

Maintaining attachments as an environment setting was only introduced in ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 and Pro 1.3. Only a few tools support it, have a look at the links below.

Maintain Attachments (Environment setting)—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Maintain Attachments (Environment setting)—Geoprocessing | ArcGIS Desktop 

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos