How to fix "unable to update feature"

07-22-2019 07:55 AM
NicoleBalkow
New Contributor

While working on my tablet with Collector I tried updating a feature. When I hit the check mark to save my edits, I receive the error message "unable to update feature." I've tried it in the field, and at the office connected to wifi. The online map details show me it has full editing capabilities enabled, as well as offline use.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hi Nicole,

Is editor tracking enabled on any feature services used with Collector? Do you know if any if the records in the feature services were created outside of Collector (e.g. ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, Script)?

Thanks,

Thomas.

0 Kudos
NicoleBalkow
New Contributor

Hi there Thomas,

Editor tracking is enabled on the hosted feature layer. Each individual layer was created on ArcGIS Pro and then exported to ArcGIS online where they were assembled, then downloaded onto Collector. It's the process I've used for other maps and I haven't had an issue before. 

I'm still relatively to the GIS programs so I apologize if I'm not providing the information you're looking for.

0 Kudos
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hi Nicole,

No problem at all I appreciate the additional information. I've seen users have similar issues in the past. At the moment I'm wondering if you are encountering the same issue. In summary if records were created before editor tracking is enabled the 'modified_by' field may read NULL for these records.

Any new records created after editor tracking was enabled will have this field populated. This conflict between NULL and populated records appears to cause issues when editing in Collector. I would recommend reviewing the hosted feature service for any NULL records in the 'modified_by' field. If these records exists enter a value for the NULL field. 

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Thomas.

0 Kudos