How do you collect line and polygon geometries in ArcGIS Collector?

Jump to solution
02-22-2019 11:46 AM
DanielKnecht
New Contributor

I am testing a new way of collecting field gps data. We have always used Trimble, but we are now experimenting with Collector on Android, using an EOS Arrow 100 receiver. I have created a hosted layer of points, lines, and polygons. I am able to collect points just fine. But when I attempt to collect a line or polygon geometry I get various messages including: "missing location", "No valid length", and "No valid area". I don't understand how this could be, given it has no problem recording points in this same location at this same time (and yes the Arrow is still bluetooth connected to the Android device while attempting to collect lines and polygons).

Also I am curious if anyone out there knows how to collect line and polygon geometries using vertices - I haven't seen this as an option in Collector, but I assume there is a way?

Mahalo,

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

I'll start with your question on points being ok, but not lines and polygons: If you are collecting a point, Collector uses your current location as the initial location of the point. So by just starting a collection you have a valid feature geometry and could submit it. For a line, you need 2 vertices to have a valid, submittable geometry. Similarly, for a polygon you need three. So until you define that, you can't submit the feature.

Regarding your details, I think what you are describing is the same as "Collect a feature at your location" (in particular, using step 5 and making a line and not just a point) - Let me see if I'm understanding what you are trying to do. Ultimately, you need to collect a line. However, you want to define the line by capturing each vertex along it with your GPS location (from the receiver). You want to use your location to create each vertex, and you want to create a vertex each time you say to. (I'm not sure what you mean by completing a vertex, so if this doesn't do want you need, clarifying that for me would help.)

To do this, go to the map while collecting your line feature. Go to the place you want a vertex, and on the map, tap the "Use my location" button (called out as 6 in the Quick ref on the collect screen). That adds a vertex at your current location. Walk (or drive, or fly or swim) to the next location you want a vertex. Tap the "Use my location" button again to add another vertex to the line (or poly) based on your new location. Once you have collected all the vertices for your line, you'll submit the feature and the line or polygon will be complete.

Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Daniel - Yes, you can definitely collect lines and polygons in Collector. Have you seen the help topic Add a feature—Collector for ArcGIS (Classic) | ArcGIS? If you are on an Android phone, you'll need to go to the map view to collect the line or polygon (you'll use the "View map" button in the Collect screen). There is also some doc that talks about the details of working with lines and polygons: Draw a shape—Collector for ArcGIS (Classic) | ArcGIS.    

Esri Education Team
DanielKnecht
New Contributor

Thanks Kylie. Yes I have seen these documents and I am not sure they have what I am looking for. As far as generating line and polygon geometries - I need to be able to record vertices using the receiver's location (exactly the same way you would with a Trimble). That means holding the Arrow receiver over a location, then commanding Collector to open up recording on a line geometry, then commanding Collector to record that line using vertices, then commanding Collector to record a vertex at that location, then commanding Collector to complete that vertex, then moving to the next inflection on the line I am recording, then commanding Collector to record another vertex on the line geometry that is currently in progress, and so on until I am done collecting that feature and command Collector to complete/close the feature.

Sorry for the exhaustive detail, just want to mitigate ambiguity.

Also - regarding the first part of my original post - any insight as to why collector 'knows the location' when I am recording point geometries, but not when I am recording line or polygon geometries? Does the have to do with drawing geometries vs using my receiver location?

Thanks again,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

I'll start with your question on points being ok, but not lines and polygons: If you are collecting a point, Collector uses your current location as the initial location of the point. So by just starting a collection you have a valid feature geometry and could submit it. For a line, you need 2 vertices to have a valid, submittable geometry. Similarly, for a polygon you need three. So until you define that, you can't submit the feature.

Regarding your details, I think what you are describing is the same as "Collect a feature at your location" (in particular, using step 5 and making a line and not just a point) - Let me see if I'm understanding what you are trying to do. Ultimately, you need to collect a line. However, you want to define the line by capturing each vertex along it with your GPS location (from the receiver). You want to use your location to create each vertex, and you want to create a vertex each time you say to. (I'm not sure what you mean by completing a vertex, so if this doesn't do want you need, clarifying that for me would help.)

To do this, go to the map while collecting your line feature. Go to the place you want a vertex, and on the map, tap the "Use my location" button (called out as 6 in the Quick ref on the collect screen). That adds a vertex at your current location. Walk (or drive, or fly or swim) to the next location you want a vertex. Tap the "Use my location" button again to add another vertex to the line (or poly) based on your new location. Once you have collected all the vertices for your line, you'll submit the feature and the line or polygon will be complete.

Esri Education Team
DanielKnecht
New Contributor

Hey Kylie,

Thanks a lot. I misunderstood the "use my location" icon/function. Your instructions were perfect. 

Thanks again,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Great, glad you are able to try it out!

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos