How do I find which assets don't have an inspection yet?

12-26-2018 12:18 PM
AlinaTaus
Occasional Contributor

I have a web map setup for hydrant inspections. I would like to come up with a solution for identifying which hydrants have not been inspected yet. I can do this in ArcMap using relates but I want to give other non-GIS people the ability to answer this questions quickly. Ideally it would be a 'button' that they could click on in a web map/web app and they would get a list of assets that are still due for inspection. So far I've looked at the various widgets in Web App Builder and the Perform Analysis tools available in the Web Map, but nothing seems to work. The closest I've come to finding something was by using the "Join Features Tool" under Perform Analysis--> Summarize Data in the Web Map. I can join the most current inspections to the hydrants using my unique ID field, but only the matching records are kept in the resulting layer. If I could keep all the records, then I could use a filter to get all the unmatched records (ie., the hydrants without an inspection). The nice thing I'm reading about the "Join Feature" tool is that the resulting layer can be saved as a hosted feature layer which would then allow the data to stay up-to-date without having to re-run the analysis.  My first questions is, is there a way to set the Join Feature tool to keep all the records in the resulting layer? What other options do I have for accomplishing this?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I do this with Arcade.  Only works in a web map for now but coming to Collector soon.  Building a relationship class works as well.

0 Kudos
JonahW
by
New Contributor III

Doug,

Could you provide a little more information on the workflow that uses Arcade? All my layers are stored in ArcGIS online, they were published originally as empty feature classes from Pro without a relationship built. So I assume there is no way in ArcGIS online to define a relationship at this point, correct? 

Thank you!

Alina 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Depending on your setup, you could keep track of this by adding a field (i.e. "Inspection Status"), or you could use editor tracking to set up a filter (last_edited >= daterange) 

Our hydrant inspections are done through survey123, related table which gets synced to EGDB weekly. The filter in the webmap is based on the Inspection Date field, because we know this gets filled out in the survey.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
JonahW
by
New Contributor III

Thank you Tyler. I have used your first recommendation on one occasion, however it wouldn't work here because the inspections are in a separate layer than the hydrants. The field crew only edits the inspections. We also use Survey123 and pass the AssetID from the hydrant to the inspection so we can keep track of them. 

0 Kudos
JonahW
by
New Contributor III

After another closer look at the Join Features Analysis tool I discovered the "Keep all target features" checkbox .This is exactly what I need! Now I can apply a filter on one of the fields from the inspection table in order to create my layer of assets that still need inspection. 

0 Kudos