Hosted feature layers, non-editable but offline compatible

08-15-2019 05:56 PM
Will
by
Occasional Contributor II

What are the steps to configure reference AGOL hosted feature layers to be non-editable but still offline compatible for Collector web maps?  For example, if we don't want editors to be able to change the features in the layer, but still want it capable of being loaded into a web map used for reference when offline in Collector?  For hosted feature reference data that changes often, I would rather take this approach instead of having to create and update tile packages.

In ArcGIS Server, I think I figured this out by loading the data in a multi-user database (SQL Server) and running the ArcGIS tools Add Global IDs and Enable Archiving on the data, then serving the feature service via a read-only database connection so that any attempted edits don't save.  However, I can't figure out an equivalent workflow for AGOL...

Any insight or suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Will,

> What are the steps to configure reference AGOL hosted feature layers to be non-editable but still offline compatible for Collector web maps?  For example, if we don't want editors to be able to change the features in the layer, but still want it capable of being loaded into a web map used for reference when offline in Collector? 

Have you looked at hosted feature layer views? You can make them read-only and still support offline workflows.

FYI: a web map has to contain at least one editable feature layer for it to be accessible to Collector.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

As Derek mentioned, hosted feature layer views can be used. These are great if you want the data editable by some people or in some places, but not others. 

If you want the layer not to be editable anywhere, you can still use it offline in Collector. You'll need to enable sync for the layer (in the Settings tab of the item page), but you can disable editing (by unchecking Enable editing in the same section of the Settings in the item page). See Enable the layers and map for offline use section in Take web maps offline—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

For ArcGIS Server feature services, you can also enable Query and Sync on them, but leave Create, Delete, and Update disabled.

Esri Education Team