Hiding Symbols in ArcGIS Online, but doesn't work the same in Collector

04-16-2019 06:09 AM
MattHeineman
Occasional Contributor

Hello all,

I'm creating a simple app for our communities Earth Day/Arbor Day. I uploaded our existing data containing tree species in a domain to ArcGIS Online. The domain of species is about 37 species. However, this year we're only giving away 6 of those 37 species. In ArcGIS Online, I used the Types (Unique Symbols) style and dragged all but the 6 to the bottom under the Other style category, essentially 'hiding' them in the Content view (see attachment).  It works great. So when I Edit, in ArcGIS Online, I only see those 6 tree species.  Additionally, in the layer filter, I used a set of expressions to isolate those 6 tree species.

However, in Collector I get the entire list of tree species from the hosted domain.Why doesn't Collector honor the same symbology filter when collecting a point feature?

My attached screen cap shows ArcGIS Online vs Collector (outlined in red).

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Matt -- In ArcGIS Online, if you click Edit in your map, what do you see in the list of features you can add? Is it all 37, or just the 6 you expect? Collector honors the list of types that you can create and should match what you see in the AGOL edit experience. To change what is there, you can click "Manage" at the bottom and then remove templates you don't want used.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
MattHeineman
Occasional Contributor

In ArcGIS Online, I actually did 2 things: 1) I used a filter to only see the 6 items I need to see. 2)  In Change Style>Unique Symbols, I moved the unwanted symbols down to the bottom.  When I click Edit, I only see the 6 I want to see. I have since learned it doesn't matter if I use the filter, it's more reliant on the Unique Symbols. Then I clicked Manage, and it's still only the 6 I need to see.

In Collector, all 37 symbols are there.

But I do see what you're saying. I forgot I could use the Manage, since it's at the bottom and a very light gray. It kinda goes unnoticed down there. I think what you're saying is to use the Manger New Features instead of using Unique Symbols and dragging them down. I'll give that a try..

0 Kudos
MattHeineman
Occasional Contributor

Kylie

If I use the Manage New Features to remove templates, when I click Save, does that change the feature layer across all Map Files that contain that feature layer?

0 Kudos