Hi, I would like to ask if can I send my data (features) from 'Collector for ArcGIS' to 'ArcGIS for Desktop?

08-02-2016 02:33 AM
NikitaGroom
New Contributor

I tried sending the data by connecting my device (which is installed with Collector for ArcGIS) to the computer (which is installed with ArcGIS for Desktop [Arc Maps]). But the data does not show in ArcGIS for Desktop. Do I have to process this data first? Or I am unable to send it to ArcGIS for Desktop? I want to edit the data and update into maps using ArcGIS for Desktop. How can I send this data or process it? I would love your help, I have received much help from Esri, I trust I will get help from this one too.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Nikita,

The only way I know (but I am a beginner) is via arcgis online. Sync collector with arcgis online and connect to arcgis online from arcgis for desktop.

MartinLeavitt
New Contributor II

Hello Nikita,

Bert is correct - the updated features will sync to the feature service. You can then connect to the service from ArcMap. The process for connecting to the service will  slightly vary depending on if you are using ArcGIS Online hosted feature services or ArcGIS for Server feature services.

If you are using ArcGIS Online hosted feature services, and you are not using disconnected editing, the updated features should automatically sync to the feature service. You can view the feature service in ArcMap by first going to File > Sign In > entering your ArcGIS Online Credentials. Then, you can locate the service in the Catalog tree by scrolling down until you see "My Hosted Services" > expanding this folder > dragging the correct feature service into the map document. Alternatively, the feature service should display newly collected features when viewed in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer. Hope this helps.

NikitaGroom
New Contributor

Thank you all, I found it very helpful

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

This process does not update the existing geodatabase. It only creates an http link to the hosted service. How do you update the existing geodatabase with the data collected in the collector app?

0 Kudos
MartinLeavitt
New Contributor II

Hosted feature services are disconnected from your local geodatabase - the data is copied to Portal or ArcGIS Online during the publishing process, and therefore will be managed separately. If you wish to use Collector to enter new records in your existing geodatabase, then you will need to publish a (referenced) feature service using an enterprise geodatabase which has been registered as a data store with ArcGIS Server. 

What is a feature service?—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Prepare data to publish a feature service—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Register your data with ArcGIS Server using Server Manager—Manage data | ArcGIS Enterprise 

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

I understand that. How do you update the geodatabase with attributes collected in Collector without server?

Thank you,

Randy

0 Kudos
MartinLeavitt
New Contributor II

If the goal is to update the local geodatabase to contain features from the hosted feature service, then the hosted feature service records must be appended to the local geodatabase. 

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

Ah, yes. I tried this approach. Perhaps I did something wrong because it duplicated all of my points in that feature class. I thought it would just attach the collected data to the fields that were revised. For example, a water meter has a field for the account number and a field personnel added and/or changed the account number for that meter. I want the new account number(s) that was synced. I don't want duplicated points. What did I do wrong?

Thank you,

Randy

0 Kudos
MartinLeavitt
New Contributor II

It is difficult to diagnose without examining the data and a longer conversation. My recommendation would be contacting Esri Support to dig into this further. 

0 Kudos