Hi everyone - I need help with offline Collector use.

Jump to solution
08-07-2015 04:49 PM
AesaKailas1
New Contributor

I set up a feature service for offline use and offline was enabled on arcgis.com. On the tablet I was able to download a copy of my map.  As a test - within that copy I was able to make an edit – saved the edit – backed out and clicked the sync option on the map within the collector app. This appears to be successful but where do I find these edits? They dont appear when I reload my map from my content in arcgis.com.

PLEASE HELP! I cant tell if they sync option works or not - I dont get any errors but I dont see my new data either.. Thoughts? Suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

For non-version server feature service, the data should go directly into your geodatabase. Try to change log level into debug in your ArcGIS Server (under Logs>Setting) and show Method Name column (under Logs>Column). Then you go through the same workflow and see if there is any error message in the logs that may be related to sync process.

For versioned layer, in ArcMap, you need to start editing session on the child version before you want to reconcile. The version editing process—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

How do you set up your feature service? Is it ArcGIS online hosted or your ArcGIS Server feature service? If it is Server feature servcie, do you use versioned in your enterprise geodatabase?

0 Kudos
AesaKailas1
New Contributor

Thanks for the response!

It is ArcGIS Server feature service.. All of my layers are unversioned, have global ids, and have archiving enabled. This way the download for offline use is an option, and I can do that successfully. but syncing up the offline edits is the issue - where do I find these edits?

0 Kudos
AesaKailas1
New Contributor

i even created another feature service & web map with only the layer I needed to be edited offline. I included the layer as versioned, with global ids. I can edit the layer on the tablet while online, and those edits save. I can download the map for offline use and make edits. I can successfully sync... but I still cannot see the offline edits in my layer, webmap, or feature service!

To recap I can successfully download a map for offline use with layers nonversioned, enabled archiving, and global ids. I can edit offline and get a message telling me the edit is stored on the device. I can press the sync button and get no errors. I have no idea where to find the offline edits.

I can also successfully download a map for offline use with layers versioned with global ids. This layer can be edited online and the edits save to my feature service and webmap. I can download the map for offline use and make edits, sync the same as above, and still the edits do not make it into my feature service layer or map.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

If the data is versioned, you will need to reconcile and post to default version before you see the edits in ArcGIS online.

For non-versioned, you should be able to see the edits in ArcGIS online right away after you sync edits.

0 Kudos
AesaKailas1
New Contributor

I still cant determine why the non-versioned layer will not update. I can download offline to a device, make edits that save stored on device, and successfully sync without any errors. Where is the data going??

As for the versioned layer - I tried the post process and reconcile you mentioned but could not make it very far as the Reconcile button is greyed out for me..

Thanks for the feedback.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

For non-version server feature service, the data should go directly into your geodatabase. Try to change log level into debug in your ArcGIS Server (under Logs>Setting) and show Method Name column (under Logs>Column). Then you go through the same workflow and see if there is any error message in the logs that may be related to sync process.

For versioned layer, in ArcMap, you need to start editing session on the child version before you want to reconcile. The version editing process—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

AesaKailas1
New Contributor

there were no errors in the log and the non versioned feature service is now updated with my offline edits! I was close earlier but I think rebuilding from scratch allowed me to simplify it all and cut out alot of the possible errors.

Thanks Miaogeng Zhang!

0 Kudos