Having trouble using Field Maps on iPad mini (5th generation)

11-16-2022 04:30 PM
NorikoCorrado
New Contributor III

I am having nothing but trouble using Field Maps on our iPad. Often the iPad doesn't connect with GNSS, is not able to change a user (ArcGIS Online login), and is not able to submit a point just created on the Field Maps if it's connected...
Does anybody know why and how to fix this issue? We are using an iPad mini (5th generation) and the software version is 15.6.1. I tested it with my personal iPhone and worked fine, so I am wondering if it's something to do with our iPad/settings.

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SaraJL
by
Occasional Contributor III

Are you trying to connect the iPad to a GPS antenna? If yes, which model of antenna/receiver are you using? (just curious)

If not using a receiver, I've found that if the iPad doesn't have cellular as well as wifi, that it has trouble connecting. That's why it works better on the iPhone since it's using the wifi on top of cellular! If the iPad doesn't have cellular, in my experience - even if it connects to Field Maps, the accuracy is pretty bad (+- 15ft or more)

• This might be contributing to the data collection/submission issue - if the accuracy is too low, the device will sometimes not collect data or connect

The other issue - make sure that location tracking is enable in the security settings! You may have already done this, but the location tracking should be enabled on the device, and then the permissions extended for Field Maps. Otherwise it will definitely disrupt the connection!

Is the iPad on iOS 15.6.1? If yes, I would absolutely recommend updating to the latest version of iOS! The latest version of iOS it 16.1.1 - sometimes Apple mobile devices get really uncooperative if they aren't updated regularly.

Good luck with your projects!

NorikoCorrado
New Contributor III

Thanks for your advice, Sara!
Yes, we are using Trimble R2, IT recently updated the firmware as we had so many problems.
We checked and our iPad has cellular service. A few times when I was troubleshooting, I caught the iPad was connected to GNSS as Wi-Fi...strange...so I always checked to make sure the Wi-Fi is off afterward. 

I am going to check on the location tracking. I thought it was something to do with an additional license which we do not have. I might be confused with something else.

And yes to the iOS update, I always update whenever I see a red dot (laugh)

We ended up using our personal iPhone when we need to shoot points, which has been working almost well (a girl told me yesterday that she could not connect at all, factoring she was near a building??)

Anyway, thanks again for all your suggestions on where to check!

SaraJL
by
Occasional Contributor III

Sure thing! 

I just remembered that I forgot to ask - do you have the Trimble Mobile Manager on the iPad? We use an Android TDC600 GPS Unit with the R2s, but I think on most smart devices, Trimble says to use the Mobile Manger to connect (although, I had to bug them about it, it wasn't in the initial documentation we got 😂). The app is free and doesn't require a log in.

If you don't have the Mobile manager - after installing the app, there is a section where you can connect to the R2 by bluetooth (separate from the regular bluetooth settings) - and then it has a tracker for accuracy and the amount of satellites available. The R2 has to be connected to both the device bluetooth and the Trimble Mobile Manager. After that, then go to Field Maps and connect the antenna to the app and that should also help! 

I also realized I got sidetracked from the login thing - we have the same issue with the login and use SAML/Oath. To remove the login, you either have to clear out the cache in any browser window that is open on the iPad (chrome, safari, etc.) or the only other way I've managed to do it is delete and reinstall the app. It's a bug that I've chatted with the ESRI Tech Support about! Since we encountered the same thing during group GPS collection projects.

NorikoCorrado
New Contributor III

Yes, I have the Trimble Mobile Manager, and I believe we need to log in. A few times I noticed that I was logged out when I wasn't getting any good accuracy. Our trusty Trimble guy gave us notes to follow, it's a bit cumbersome for my liking to go through every time we have a connection issue... I have never cleared out the cache...I will check into that next time I encounter problems. I will set aside the iPad for now as my iPhone has been working well... I know I have to go through this again once we start using the iPad. I will make notes to check what you mentioned:)

0 Kudos
limnakhau
New Contributor

Been using it for a while, though I feel when you forget to toggle a few options (like sync), include a shape file in the web map, etc. the whole thing can crumble very quickly.

Is your company adopting it? Hows it all going, are users lining up to use it?

Would be interested to see anyones using anything else for field collection....

0 Kudos