Has the Aurora version of Collector been scheduled for Windows?

Jump to solution
08-23-2019 05:16 PM
RobertHarmon
New Contributor III

Now that the Aurora version of Collector is available for iOS and Android (beta) is there a timeline for the Windows' version?

Thanks,

Bob

Tags (2)
13 Replies
GennadyMogilevich
New Contributor III

An issue we've faced ever since we had to make the switch to using iPads over Windows based tablets is the inability to use the capabilities of an MDM system to deploy apps, push updates, and provide assistance to the field worker.  Previously, we used an MDM that enables to remote to their device from the office, view their screen, and pull log files or change settings, etc.  Sometimes the solution to their issue was simple, but when you're talking over the phone, cannot see what they are doing or check settings, etc., it's becomes difficult to identify the issue.  It definitely helped with assisting staff that may be making errors in their workflow, so it was easy to go through the steps when you have full access to their device.  Unfortunately, Apple doesn't make that easy and in some cases impossible.  I know there are companies that say they offer full MDM iPadOS capabilities, but I have yet to find one that has can do those things directly out-of-the-box.  Usually, if an MDM says they have the capability, it involves a custom SDK, which can become a nightmare to maintain.  It's just not the same.  Overall, we spend much more time assisting field staff which often involves us having to go out into the field or having field staff come into the office in order figure out the problem and resolve it.  This is a major disadvantage from my viewpoint considering the amount of extra time and effort spent on behalf both office and field staff.

0 Kudos
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Totally agree ---  "The other benefit with having Collector on Windows 10 is that I can install the application onto my work computer and, if needed, make changes to the edits that our crews make out in the field without having to open another application."

Plus there's another possible workflow: I was asked by my users (disaster response and recovery) a couple of days ago, how to input the assessment data (possibly collected by flying over the impacted area, I don't know the details) back in the office.  In this case I would recommend them to use ArcGIS Collector (classic) for Windows. but I am not sure if it will be still available after this year, as ESRI will remote it from Apple App Store and Google Play by the end of 2020.

Nothing said about ArcGIS Collector (classic) for Windows beyond 2020, will it be removed from Microsoft app store as well? if yes, there will be a gap on the platform coverage, and this gap will be more obvious when Microsoft Surface Pro and Surface-like devices are getting more tractions in the mobile computing market.  if not, I am afraid there will be inconsistent user experience across platforms, because the new ArcGIS Collector is different from the Collector Classic.

I understand Windows may not be the first or second popular platform for ArcGIS collector, but it could be an integral part of the overall solution, for example, in my case I actually use ArcGIS Collector on all platforms: First responders use iOS /Android, back in office and in the relief centers people use Windows 10.

0 Kudos
ToddHalvorson
New Contributor II

Interesting timing Robert.  I was just in a tech support call - client was using his laptop in his truck with Collector and asking a lot of questions!  I like your points and for communities with no, limited or contracted IT services- dealing with one device type makes sense to them.

DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Gennady Mogilevich Todd Halvorson‌ as Jeff mentioned above, I'd encourage you to send an email to esriApps4Windows10@esri.com to voice your support along with pertinent details, including what devices you're using and number of deployments. This will help us in our evaluation regarding future plans for Windows.

0 Kudos