Has anyone used a Leica GS15 receiver with Collector?

03-14-2017 09:14 AM
MTorres
Occasional Contributor

I'm using an Android smartphone for Collector (Samsung Galaxy S5). The phone pairs via bluetooth just fine with my receiver but Collector is still showing my location to be about 15 feet off from where it is. Yes, I told Collector to use the receiver and not the internal/phone location GPS chip. TIA

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MTorres
Occasional Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Megan-

We have spoken with a few customers that have used Leica GS15 receivers successfully with Collector.

How are you determining that you're 15 feet off?

0 Kudos
AliceBreault-Germain
New Contributor

Hi Doug,

Do you have any inputs on how the customers connected the GS15 with ArcGIS Collector? Did they created a profile in Collector? And do you know if they successfully received the data from NMEA sentences (quality : hdop, vdop, pdop etc)

Thank You!

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Megan,

I'm assuming you have gone through these steps?

Use high-accuracy GPS—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
MTorres
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. Here is my final solution: Use the android app "NTRIP" by Lefebure as a mock location provider. Set Collector to use internal location/GPS. Use the Leica CS15 Controller to initialize/start the RTK output in the GS15 GNSS device. Leave the CS15 Controller turned on and carry it on my belt because if I turn it off the GS15 stops sending the RTK corrections. Use the android/Collector to capture centimeter accuracy data. Tips: the GS15 and NTRIP app require separate RTK logins.

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

The one downside of the approach above is that you will lose some of the GPS metadata if you're storing it on the features you're collecting.  

We has worked with some folks in the UK who were using the GS15 and they were able to get this working once they had updated the firmware of the GS15 to 5.0.1 (which may not be the most recent).  Older versions were sending an invalid NMEA stream which presented Collector from reading certain sentences.

AdamInglis1
Occasional Contributor

This is great news, our company has several GS15 units.  It would open up a lot of internal opportunities for our department if we could use existing hardware. 

MTorres
Occasional Contributor

Doug,

I have looked into this and so far (beta testing) I haven't run into any problems. As long as I use the GNSS metadata tool to create the fields in my feature classes, the GPS metadata is stored correctly. I'm using firmware version 7.51.

#Leica#gs15#GPS#cs15

AliceBreault-Germain
New Contributor

M Torres Hello, I am trying to do the same (connecting a GS16 and receiving NMEA messages to use as a mock location provider with the Android app "NTRIP" by Lefebure). Do you happen to remember the settings you had or if you did anything special to make the connection work? With my current setup, I am not receiving data on the Android app but it is working on the Windows app. However, it would be preferable to use the Android app because of the mock location provider option that is not so straight forward with a Windows tablet. 

Here is my setup :

- GS16 with NMEA license (v8)

- RTK Port = BT1

- NMEA Port = BT2 (outputs set to GGA, GSA, GSV, RMC, VTG, GST)

- Bluetooth connection to the GS16 with either an Android phone or tablet (Getac ZX70)

- RTK connection to a public network (MERN)

→ However, no NMEA messages received and a waiting warning for GGA displayed (see image)

0 Kudos