Geometry type: "Track where collectors went"

10-31-2013 02:18 AM
GakuminKato
New Contributor III
Hi all,

I am new to Collector for ArcGIS and have a question on "Track where collectors went" function.
Would it be possible to track collectors location/moving path with lines not points?
My organization wants to track cars' driving path with line. We are wondering if the Collector for ArcGIS supports this function.

Best regards,
Gakumin
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
The Collector app only supports tracking with point features. You could take the collected points into Desktop as a local copy and run the GP tool Points to Line and then publish up a hosted service if you needed the data in a web map.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00170000003s000000

Russ
0 Kudos
GakuminKato
New Contributor III
The Collector app only supports tracking with point features. You could take the collected points into Desktop as a local copy and run the GP tool Points to Line and then publish up a hosted service if you needed the data in a web map.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00170000003s000000

Russ

Hi Russ,
Thanks for your comment. I understand the function currently only supports point features for the tracking. It may be useful if users had options on the geometry types, though. There would be some useful cases if users can add their own locations with lines on the field rather than in an office. In that way, the worker add information to the tracking line on the field at once. This is an idea from a user.
Thanks a lot,
Gakumin
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
In the upcoming update we will have support for GPS streaming and is something that may fit your requirements. You will be able to collect a line feature with your GPS at a set time interval. This is something the user will need to enable when they start to collect a line where the location tracking is something that gets initiated when the map is opened with the tracking layer.

Russ
0 Kudos