Generate a 1km grid for use in Collector - best practice?

01-13-2018 11:12 PM
AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

I need to build a 1km grid UTM grid for scaling and navigational use in an ArcGIS Collector project. I"m wondering the best way to go about this. The grid needs to cover my entire State, and of course it straddles 3 different UTM zones, just to confuse things.

So far I've constructed the line features, which results in about 2000 very long features (longest approx 540km). I published a service to AGOL but the data wouldn't display, with an error of 'too many features to display'. My assumption is that the sheer length of the features caused issues when trying to select features to display within the viewport.

So now I'm attempting to go the other way, and I've planarised the lines, resulting in over 1/2 a million lines mostly of 1km length. I'm now attempting to publish this as a service but it's taking aaaaaaages and I suspect it's going to fall over.

So what I'm wondering, has anyone else built a grid / graticule overlay? How did you get it to work? Any tricks I need to be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you use Create Fishnet in ArcMap or Pro to generate the grid net?

What projection did you set? To that of the he middle UTM zone? (3 degrees on either side of UTM zone is about it.

Why not set a projection which is more suitable to your area or are the UTM grids being defined separately then projected-on-the-fly to something else?

Sorry, more questions that answers I suppose

AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Dan, I've managed to get the grids to draw in AGOL. Rather embarrassingly, it was due to a projection issue with one of our organisational basemaps. Changing to another resolved the issue.

The broader question for myself is if there is an 'optimal' size for features and AGOL? What would the mid point be between a smaller number of larger features or a larger number of smaller features?

Probably one of those 'how long is a piece of string' type questions I suppose!

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Glad it worked out Anthony... I will leave 'string' questions to you and physicists 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I use to put the Grids on the Basemap and show it in the scales that are most fit. In that way you get a very fast rendering.

In the future I guess that Vector Tiles is the best answer (Aurora relaease of Collector)