Filter doesn't work in Offline mode

11-29-2015 03:02 PM
MatthewSkewes2
New Contributor III

I have applied a filter to a collector map (Yes/No Type thing), the filter doesn't filter out any newly recorded points unless I delete and download the map again (i thought syncing the data would also update the data getting filtered but it doesn't). If the project is 'live' the filter will work after Zooming In/Out or reloading the map which is what I expect.

So to sum it up, do filters work in offline mode or not. If so what am I doing wrong.

Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you share more details about your user scenario? How do you use "Filter" in the field?

0 Kudos
MatthewSkewes2
New Contributor III

Sure, I'm hoping to use collector to manage our asset maintenance workflow. I have created one layer which a number of teams will interact with through collector and ArcGIS Online. So an issue will be entered on the desktop from a customer request. It will then be passed to the data collector to be scoped in the field then it disappears from his map and appears on the person responsible for the next stage and so on.

I was hoping to do this through maps with different views of the data and utilising filters to make the point disappear/appear on the right maps as the values are changed.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info. I have entered an issue for dev team to look at.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Regarding to your workflow, you might be interested in another app: Workforce for ArcGIS is coming soon! | ArcGIS Blog

0 Kudos
MatthewSkewes2
New Contributor III

Yeah I am looking forward to testing that app out since hearing about at the UC. Another quick question, will I run in to any issues editing the same feature service through multiple maps/collector projects?Miaogeng Zhang

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

I don't think so. We use the same feature service in multiple maps for test purpose.

0 Kudos
ZorbaConlen
Occasional Contributor

I just encountered this and found a solution that works for me at least. Initially, I tried applying def queries to my layers in arcmap. The query is not applied to newly created records in Collector, when offline. Likewise, if you apply a filter to the layer in the arcgis.com viewer, as Matthew describes above, new records are not filtered in offline maps. 

My solution is to use the "change style" capability in arcgis.com viewer to display symbols by unique values. Then I can make the desired category invisible so that when a feature is changed to that category it drops off the map. So, in my case, a user can change the "active" field from yes to no. When they do this, the feature disappears from the map. This works offline. 

You might ask, why not apply this symbology in arcmap and publish the service with unique value rendering? That does work, but it's kind of messy because your feature template in collector would have options for both the Yes and No symbols, which is a bit confusing for end users, especially since I already have 6 types of ramps they can choose. And there is no use case for adding an inactive feature in the field. 

FYI - this also improves the user experience for online edits because the change is immediate. With filters, I found that it was often quite slow and required you to jog the map by changing scale or similar, before the map would update.

That said, I would consider this a work-around, and it would be nice if ESRI would ensure that filters and def queries will work in offline mode for future releases. And also, great if performance of def queries\filters can be improved.

Thanks