File size limit for offline tile packages?

04-25-2014 02:57 PM
MattMacander
New Contributor
We made a 3.3 GB tile package and side-loaded it into the ArcGIS Collector folder on an Android device. Went to downloaded a Collector map for offline use map and the 3.3 GB tile package is listed as an available basemap. I do notice that Collector thinks it is "< 5MB"!

The download process hung up even though there was hardly any feature data to download. Eventually it did complete on a second attempt and I could see the map but could not save any data to the device.

I purged the big tile package and tried again with a smaller one that was one level coarser (900 MB). Collector recognized the file size correctly, the download went smoothly, and I can save offline data anywhere within the extent of the tile package and sync it up later.

Are we running into an undocumented file size limit on tile packages? There's plenty of room on the device.
Tags (2)
5 Replies
AaronCole1
Occasional Contributor
I was planning on trying the same workflow today.  I'll let you know how it goes.
0 Kudos
AaronCole1
Occasional Contributor
Sorry not to be of much help, sideloading worked fine for me but the tpk file was only 78 MB.
0 Kudos
MichaelBerzinis
New Contributor III
mmacander: I think there is a 100,000 tile limit in addition to the device limits.  I have noticed that the map download process can fail if you have network issues, or not so great wireless.  Even on an iOS device you can sideload pretty easily, instructions are here:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2014/03/23/using-your-own-basemap-layers-with-collector-for-arcgis...

i'd try getting your tpk to load with a smaller area/level of detail first, then work your way up.
0 Kudos
MattMacander
New Contributor
idaeus: it would be very useful to know if there is a 100,000 tile limit. I don't see anything about this on the Collector pages and the tile package article you linked to says "There are no restrictions on size �?? you are limited by the size constraints of your device."

Also, how do you know how many tiles are in a tile package?

I am working up to finer/larger tile packages as you suggest. The 900 MB one worked fine. Also, I have gotten the 3.3 GB package to work on a different Android device. So I think there is not a hard 2GB limit. But it would very useful to know if there are limits on file size/number of tiles.
LindsyHales_Bentley
New Contributor III

I have the same question regarding the size of a tile package.  I have tried twice, and had it clip and not include a large portion of my data.  I did see the 100,000 tile limit, but how do I know how many tiles it is creating? The second attempt included more data than the first, but still not all of it. Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos