Feature Services labelling in Collector 10.3

Jump to solution
03-10-2015 09:20 PM
YuanGao5
New Contributor II

Hi ArcGIS Gurus

I understand Feature Service Labelling is not supported in previous Collector versions but is it still the same for 10.3?

What I am trying to do here is to digitize a line feature in Collector, set a value in a field called "Length" and I want that value to be displayed on Collector. If Collector 10.3 doesn't support labelling for Feature Services, is there any work around?

Many thanks

Yuan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
YuanGao5
New Contributor II

Thanks for the replies above

I downloaded 10.3 Collector app on IOS device. I prepared a line feature service, published via ArcGIS for server, shared it via Portal.

1. When I view it in connected mode, the labelling of the feature does show up.

2. When I view it in Offline mode (bring the map offline), the labelling does show up!!!

Labelling never worked for me for the previous versions. now it does, which is awesome,

Cheers

Yuan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Yuan,

Currently, labeling is not supported in the Collector application. Please feel free to support this idea on the ideas site: ArcGIS Idea - Labeling a feature service 

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

If you digitize a line feature in Collector the length is displayed in the attribute table at the top of the table just above the name of the feature. For points the coordinate location is displayed, for polygons area, and for lines length.

0 Kudos
YuanGao5
New Contributor II

Thanks for the replies above

I downloaded 10.3 Collector app on IOS device. I prepared a line feature service, published via ArcGIS for server, shared it via Portal.

1. When I view it in connected mode, the labelling of the feature does show up.

2. When I view it in Offline mode (bring the map offline), the labelling does show up!!!

Labelling never worked for me for the previous versions. now it does, which is awesome,

Cheers

Yuan

0 Kudos
YuanGao5
New Contributor II

Snapshot taken from Ipad, labelling works fine for the purple line features in offline mode in Collector 10.3.

Labelling_Works.JPG

Cheers

0 Kudos
PeteCrosier

It does work in offline mode, unofficially - this is useful but be careful if you start relying on this as it could be 'fixed' and stop working!

andrewrehkemper
New Contributor II

I have a grid that I want to show labels.  I have published the feature service, enabled the labeling, both in ArcMap when publishing to our server and in a AGO map.  And even created a separate feature layer.  Everything labels EXCEPT in Collector.  Any thoughts?  I would like to do the same for a centerline as well.  But am trying to conquer one thing at a time.

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
BenGrod

Andrew,

Unfortunately, Collector doesn't support labeling yet. Sorry, seems like it should and will likely in the near future. Hope this helps and good luck.

Ben

0 Kudos
Yann-EricBoyeau
Occasional Contributor

From osweetman on ArcGIS Idea

There's actually a undocumented "feature" that allows labels in Collector.  I wish ESRI would document it, but they actually consider it to be a bug.  Here's how to add labels:

1. In the desktop application, turn on labels for the feature layer you want labeled.  Format them exactly how you want them displayed in Collector.

2. Publish the feature service as you normally would (we use ArcGIS Online to host our services, so no idea if this works with Server).

3. Download a map with the feature layer to Collector.  The labels only display if the map is downloaded (i.e. offline mode).

4. Voila!  Labels, just like we want!  And pray that ESRI doesn't "fix" this "bug"! -

Hope this helps a lot of people, and do not forget to promote the idea for "Collector - Label features" on the ArcGIS Idea dedicated page​ !

NicolasGIS

Hello,

I confirm that I am observing the same phenomenon on Collector for ArcGIS 10.3.7 on IOS 9.2.1.

Any reaction from ESRI on this unexepected working feature ? Because over the Web we still can read everywhere that it is not supported and there have been no statement coming from ESRI stating that it is working.

Can I get rid of my arcpy.FeatureOutlineMasks_cartography scripts ???

Cheers,

Nicolas

0 Kudos