Feature Service published via file geodatabase not honoring domains

04-01-2015 09:36 AM
PaulCone
New Contributor III

I am setting up a service for a map to be used in Collector.  There is a related table and some of the fields in that table have domains.  Collector will update fields in the related table.

When I was setting up the Feature Service by using the Publish... option in ArcMap, the resulting service and map in Collector has the domains on the fields that I set up in the file geodatabase.  However, we realized that that method also burns quite a number of credits in ArcGIS Online (even though I unticked the Tiled Mapping box under Capabilities -- seems like a bug to me).  So our AGOL site manager and I conferred and I learned that if you publish the service by just zipping the file geodatabase and uploading it, it doesn't build the tiles and thus burn credits.  Both of those methods are detailed on this page...

Publish features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

However, the file geodatabase publishing method does not appear to maintain the domains -- when I go to create a record in Collector, the domains aren't there.  So I searched and found this page, which tells you how you update the domains by updating the JSON...

Updating Hosted Feature Services in ArcGIS Online | ArcGIS Blog

So I did that, and it worked.  But really, I think I shouldn't have to do that.  If AGOL can see domains on something I upload via ArcMap, which is pointing to a file geodatabase, it should see domains that are sent up by uploading the file geodatabase directly.  Right?  What am I missing?

Paul

-------------------------------------------

Paul Cone

Corporate GIS

Bureau of Technology Services

City of Portland, Oregon

0 Kudos
0 Replies