Error When Submitting Record in Related Table, 'Unable to Submit'

Jump to solution
04-17-2020 02:02 PM
CharliePhilbrick1
New Contributor III

I've got a hosted feature layer that I set up in Arc Pro and published from there. I did it this way because it was my understanding that this is the way to create a hosted feature layer with a related table.

I created a feature class in the default .gdb for the Pro project, then created the stand alone table, created a relationship class between the two using the GlobalID field in both as the key. I then published using the 'Publish Web Layer' tool on the Share tab. In AGO, I made sure that the feature layer has editing enabled and that both that spatial layer and the table had attachments enabled. I added this to the web map driving my Collector project and proceeded from there.

In Collector, I am able to create the spatial feature without trouble. I then select the feature, scroll down to the 'RELATED' section and see the name of my related table in blue with the little link icon next to it. I tap on that, tap 'Add', fill out all 4 required fields and hit 'Submit'. I see 'In Progress' and then get the error message depicted here. "Unable to Submit 1 or more attributes failed"

I can't figure out where I'm going wrong. My googling and browsing here hasn't gotten me very far, but please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.

Weirdly, when I turn on Logs in Collector, I don't see any entry for my attempt to submit the related record.

Please let me know if there's more information I should provide. Thanks in advance.

-Charlie

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Charlie,

I created a feature class in the default .gdb for the Pro project, then created the stand alone table, created a relationship class between the two using the GlobalID field in both as the key.

Typically when using a GlobalID as the key for the parent table, the child key should be a field of type GUID. A GlobalID > GlobalID relationship wouldn't work. GUID is a type of field meant for accepting GlobalID values, in this scenario the GlobalID value from the parent feature. 

I am not sure if this is what you meant exactly but its somewhere to start. I would see if you can successfully create a related record in Pro to ensure its a valid relationship to begin with. If you are familiar with Collector Classic you could also try it there to try to isolate the problem further. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Charlie,

I created a feature class in the default .gdb for the Pro project, then created the stand alone table, created a relationship class between the two using the GlobalID field in both as the key.

Typically when using a GlobalID as the key for the parent table, the child key should be a field of type GUID. A GlobalID > GlobalID relationship wouldn't work. GUID is a type of field meant for accepting GlobalID values, in this scenario the GlobalID value from the parent feature. 

I am not sure if this is what you meant exactly but its somewhere to start. I would see if you can successfully create a related record in Pro to ensure its a valid relationship to begin with. If you are familiar with Collector Classic you could also try it there to try to isolate the problem further. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
CharliePhilbrick1
New Contributor III

Thanks, Colin. I really appreciate your response.

I did try accessing the project in Collector classic which yielded a much more descriptive error message. This sent me down a whole rabbit hole surrounding indexing of the ID fields, which, in turn made me thing more about how had set up my relationship class. As you point out, it doesn't make sense to relate the two by their own GlobalID fields. I made that mistake early in the process and it's a pretty fundamental one. I think that made it hard for me to see.

Anyway, I've added a new GUID field to my related table, remade the relationship class and am going to try republishing now. I'll report success or ask for more help here shortly!

-Charlie

UPDATE:

And now it works like a charm. Duh.

Kind of frustrating to reach the end of a long troubleshooting process only to realize that my own hasty actions were standing in my way all along. Oh well. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Thanks again for your help, Colin Lawrence

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Good to hear you got to the bottom of it. There is a lesson there because I had to learn it myself after bumping my head a few times on the same workflow; It will go more smoothly next time. 

Happy to help!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
Noushinad60
New Contributor

Hi Charlie:

I had the same error and when I read your post, I delete my relationship class and added a field in the table called GUID and it is Guid type but then created relationship class . Between Parent Global ID and the Child GUID and now when I login to field maps, it says No table added!!! I appreciate if you can help me on that.

Thanks,

Noushin

0 Kudos