Select to view content in your preferred language

Error during Sync from iPad to ArcGIS online via collector app

Jump to solution
03-24-2014 02:27 PM
TinaKwitkoski
Occasional Contributor
I have a question, I just started using Collector for ArcGIS recently and I downloaded my data to be offline on my iPad since I would not be WIFI. Now when I go to sync back to my ArcGIS online account I get the error message in the attachment. I am not sure how to fix this or what is causing this to happen. Any suggestions on how to get my data back into the online environment?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
51 Replies
FayeWyatt
New Contributor III
Hello,

I am having a problem syncing data from my Android device to ArcGIS Online also. There are no error messages, but each time that I sync it looks like it is working but the data is not uploading to the ArcGIS website. Then when I refresh the collector app it says that I have 20 syncs pending.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Faye
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Do you get any error/notification messages back if you just let it upload and hit a timeout? What kind of connection are you trying to upload over? Have you seen any of the features make it to the web map?

Russ
0 Kudos
FayeWyatt
New Contributor III
Hi Russ,

I don't get any error messages or notifications, and it seems as if it works in that the blue status bar disappears and it looks as though it completed. I just can't see any of the content on the ArcGIS online map. Other map projects that I took offline on the same tablet do upload and I can view the data online. I am syncing over a WiFi connection.

Thank you!

Faye
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you share the service and the map with me? You can add it into a group and invite Collector4ArcGIS into it.

Russ
0 Kudos
FayeWyatt
New Contributor III
Hi Russ,

I added the map and service layers to a group and invited you.

Thank you for you help,

Faye
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Which layer are you trying to sync and it is failing on? I tried collecting features and they sync'd back without any issue and then I was able to delete the features and sync those back and the sync count always updated.
0 Kudos
FayeWyatt
New Contributor III
Hi Russ the tablet says there are 20 sync's, the layers that I edited offline are the Leduc_wetland_groundtruthing_06_09... the Open_groundtruth, the Forest_groundtruth and the ESA_region_score.

Maybe it is an error with the tablet? It the Sync(20) disappears and just the Sync button shows when I try to Sync. Each time I try to sync it looks like it worked, but it doesn't update online and when I refresh the app it comes back with Sync(20) again.

Is there anyway to get the data using a hardwired connection to my computer rather than trying to upload wirelessly?

Thanks again,

Faye
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
If you collected new features and not edited features you can use a python script to copy the stuff into a gdb and you can merge it into the data you already have. Can you try force closing from the device settings and trying to to relaunch the app and sync?

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
FayeWyatt
New Contributor III
Hi Russ,

I tried force closing from the settings and unfortunately it didn't work for me. I edited features rather than collected new ones so I am out of luck there. I only edited 20 features so I am going to manually copy them over from the attribute table on the device to the online features, and then re-attach the images. This is not ideal as the main reason I was using the ArcGIS collector app was to remove this data entry step.

I am worried because I have been pushing my organization to move towards collecting/ groundtruthing all data in the field with the ArcGIS collector apps and ArcGIS online. Is there anything that I can do in the future to stop this from happening again?

Thanks for all of your help.

Faye
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
You could try copying over the folder from the one Android device where it is not syncing and paste it into another android device with it working and it should pick it up and that way we can determine if the sync is just related to the device. You would copy the data at the account folder under ArcGIS_Collector >offline_data and then paste it under to another device in that same offline_data folder and when you start the app sign in with the same account the was used to download it and try to sync the features there. Do not use the remove option on the manage section of the app. This will remove the replica ID from the service and will break the link from the service to the GDB.

Russ
0 Kudos