Editing Related Tables in Collector

02-04-2015 07:13 AM
NilsBabel
Occasional Contributor II

Anybody editing related tables in Collector?  The feature was just released in Collector for Android.  I'm still waiting for it to be released for iPad before I make any changes to the schema I have set up in my web maps.  I'm curious if anyone is using this feature and how they have it setup.  Is it seamless to access and edit the related tables?  Is it cumbersome or confusing for collector users?  Are many to many relationships possible?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
40 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

-When you have a feature service with related tables in a web map you must first enable the popup on the table. If the popup on the table is not enabled the related table will not be displayed in the Collector app.

-You access the related tables through the features popup. From there you can view, edit or delete the related records.

-M to N relationships are not supported in this release.

Russ

NilsBabel
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Russ,  what about adding a related record?  Say I create a feature in collector and I want to add a record for it in a related table.  Can you do that in Collector?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup you can add new records to a feature when it supports a 1 to M relationship or if a feature does not have a related record yet in a 1 to 1 relationship.

MattMcGuire
Occasional Contributor

After enabling the related table popup, I'm getting an "Unfortunately, Collector has stopped" message every time I try to open the features popup. I'm using a very basic set of points, a relationship class and related table in a 1-M relationship.

Any other reports of crashes?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the map to a group and invite Collector4ArcGIS into that group and I can check out the map.

Thanks

Russ

0 Kudos
MattMcGuire
Occasional Contributor

Did so. Thanks!

0 Kudos
AmyHoyt
New Contributor II

Russ,

I have set up a Collector app using a related table, and it works on iOS, but on Android I get the 'Collector has stopped message' when I go to Add a new record to the related table.  I can view the pop-up and View the related records, but not add a new one.  I have tried the solution you offered with referencing the ArcGIS Server Feature service through an AGOL Feature layer and table.  But it still does not work.  I have shared a group and invited the Collector4ArcGIS account.  Group is called Android Collector App.  Can you offer any assistance  with this issue?

Also, in Collector on Windows 10, when I try to add a new record, the app just closes, no error message at all.

0 Kudos
MattMcGuire
Occasional Contributor

I recreated the service to the minimal level to prove the concept to myself. Then I worked backwards reversing the changes until it stopped working again.

For what it's worth, here are the changes I made:

1) Moved the feature service to the root directory of my ArcGIS Server

2) Removed the requirement for HTTPS and a login to the feature service

3) Used a "publisher" account in AGOL (had been using an admin account)

4) Removed all fields save a couple of text fields

At this point, it was working great.

• I added more fields back, and ultimately all fields back. Still working great
  • I tried the admin account. Still working great
  • returned the service to the secure folder, but with the permissions on the feature service itself wide open. Still working great
  • Changed the security settings on the Feature Service to allow access to all users who are logged in. Crashes when trying to open the feature popup.

The Feature Service works fine for editing in AGOL.

So there seems to be some problem with editing related tables using secure feature services using the Collector App.

EDIT: I created a feature layer in AGOL referencing the Feature Service in ArcGIS Server with saved credentials. Then I set the map to use the feature layer instead of the feature service directly. Now editing works on the secure service in ArcGIS Collector App for Android.  So that's a work around, though not ideal.

RyanDay
New Contributor III

Hi Russell,

I am also struggling with getting the related tables setup with collector.  Thanks for the info on 'enabling pop-ups' via online, I was able to get this working with an ArcGIS online hosted feature service, but am trying to get it working with an Internally hosted 'Portal' and ArcGIS Server.  Do you know what i'm missing with my published feature service, I can't seem to get the 'enable popups' button to show in the online map editor.

I have Sync enabled in the feature service...

Versioned feature class with relationship classes setup to the GlobalID of the origin table, anything else i need?

0 Kudos