Select to view content in your preferred language

domain values showing not domain description

Jump to solution
09-14-2017 06:14 AM
ErikBlake
Regular Contributor

I was wondering if anybody knew why after upgrading to 10.5.1 our web maps that we use in collector are displaying the domain coded value when they are editing instead of the domain description. any advice how to get it back to showing the description.  

0 Kudos
26 Replies
marjorie_jerez
New Contributor III

Doug,

Any update as to when this will be fixed?

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marjorie-

Thais was addressed in 17.0.4 which was released in early December.

JillHalchin
Occasional Contributor II

I'm seeing this with our Portal. The last that I heard, it's running 10.5. I have Collector 17.0.4 on an iPad. Several fields have domains and the descriptions are used for symbolizing. The field do NOT have subtypes. Same as others have reported: everything is okay on a desktop and when using the map live in Collector. But in a downloaded map, the list for choosing type of feature to create and the dropdown picklistss show the codes, not the descriptions.

0 Kudos
ClemensBriedl
New Contributor

We have a similllar error, but this time only the Android Collector App is effected and not all Domains.No Problems with iOS, Green is the Code inserted by meNot all domains are working in Android

First Screenshot Shows the properly working iOS App (green is the the Code), second Shows the Anroid App where some are note working. In Webbrowser they are also working properly. We are using the latest release from the App.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If your coded value domain is formatted as a "Text" field type, you could also use a text description in the Code field (instead of a numeric code), and the Code text will appear in Collector when collecting data. You can enter the same Code and Description for each item in your domain list (an abbreviated code works also). 

It's not ideal if you need a numeric code, but it will get you the result you want in Collector without having to edit the JSON file. 

0 Kudos
JeffSegal
New Contributor III

Perhaps the problem is with ArcGIS 10.5.1 rather than with Collector.

Using Collector 18.0.1 with a map published under 10.3, there is no problem, but with maps published with 10.5.1 the problem is observed.

Since there is an AGOL update due within a few days, I plan to re-evaluate after that update.

JosephAlberts
New Contributor III

Doug Morgenthaler It looks like this is still a problem in AGOL after the April updates. I just overwrote a feature service that has a category symbology in Pro/Desktop based on a field using a coded domain. In the data pane of the feature layer's details page, the values displayed in that field are showing the coded value rather than the description.

There's nothing wrong with the domain itself. I have two other fields using the exact same domain, but not being utilized for symbology/style, which show the description. See the image below; all three fields use the same coded domain, but the first one is the symbology field at the time of publishing.

Three fields using the same coded domain, but the first is used as the symbology for the layer when published. It shows the code value instead of the domain description.

It appears that I can get around this by publishing the layer with a single symbol style and then setting up the style under the feature layer's Visualization tab, which then translates into the maps the layer is in. I can also then change the field that any given map uses from that layer to style it in the map without breaking the other field.

The problem looks like it's in the types section of the JSON at the REST endpoint. I've compared them by publishing with the category symbology in Pro/Desktop and just publishing it with a a single symbol. When the category symbology is used, the "name" values (both of them) for each type are set to the value instead of the domain description. Each type also has a data in the "domains" section, which is empty when publishing with a single symbol and doesn't contain anything even after setting a style based on a field under the Visualization tab. It looks like a list of every field that uses a domain in the feature layer in the form: 

"Field_Name" : {"type" : "inherited"}, 

0 Kudos