Create Donut Polygons & Multipart Polygons in Collector / FieldMaps

Jump to solution
03-16-2021 01:56 PM
cle444
by
Occasional Contributor

To Collector / FieldMaps experts,

What's the recommended way to capture the below types of geometries in Collector / FieldMaps?

1. donut polygons 

2. multipart polygons

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't see these functionalities available out-of-the-box in ArcGIS Collector. Some addition to the existing editing tools by Esri will help.

There is also a long pending idea Cut polygons/polylines in Collector for ArcGIS 

As of now, the tasks have to be carried out as a part of post processing in ArcGIS Desktop/Pro.

Think Location

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend using ArcGIS Desktop for these tasks.

Why do you want to do it using Field Apps? Any particular business need?

Think Location
0 Kudos
cle444
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response. To answer your question - donut and multipart polygons are common types of geometry in the real world for data capture.

Imagine you are collecting

• a surface area of a roundabout road section
  • 20 tiny road berm area aggregate for a single set of attributes, e.g. client, work_order, crew, total_area, total_mow_duration

For sure above can be handled with a field/office workflow with proper data model design. My goal is to find the easiest way for field user, even it requires post-process in the backend.

So far my understanding is for donut polygons, we will have an exclusion/island type in the data model, and we can process them in the backend by FME server. 

For multipart features, input full attributes for the first feature and only the link_id for subsequent features. Dissolving/aggregation process will be handled by FME server in the backend.

As you can see, the above workaround does get the job done but requires some extra setup. I wonder if ESRI has a more elegant solution to capture those types of geometries, e.g. some functionalities or out-of-box workflow that I have missed.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't see these functionalities available out-of-the-box in ArcGIS Collector. Some addition to the existing editing tools by Esri will help.

There is also a long pending idea Cut polygons/polylines in Collector for ArcGIS 

As of now, the tasks have to be carried out as a part of post processing in ArcGIS Desktop/Pro.

Think Location
0 Kudos