Configuring Maps for Data Collection, Help!!

07-28-2022 08:51 AM
KJueckstock
New Contributor II

Hello friends, I need some help. 

I'm a recent GIS grad and super green in this field as a beginner. I work for a small city, and we recently purchased an EOS Gold for data collection. I have been able to make some maps and practice collecting points, but I am concerned about actually collecting information and getting it into our existing data. 

Here are my biggest questions: 

1. I know I should be collecting or editing on COPIES of the authoritative data which will both live on AGOL until I check it out for editing and appending (?).

I have exported the data to the gdb that is holding all the authoritative layers. When I create a copy of the layer for editing, do I also export that feature to feature into the same gdb as a new layer, or do I create a "copy" in AGOL. From what I've read I believe the "copy" in AGOL method will create a link to the original, so edits on the copy will also automatically edit on the original. I don't want that. I want to QAQC everything that comes in before I bring it back. 

2. When I'm ready to QAQC, what is the best method to add the new data in the copy layer into the authoritative layer? My assumption is doing an append, as the schema will match and an append should seamlessly bring the changes in. 

3. I'm looking for general best practices for managing data in data collection. I've been all over the EOS website and watched their webinars and they were helpful, but they talk mostly about creating new layers instead of bringing data into an existing dataset, which is what I am most nervous about. 

Thanks for any insight! 

0 Kudos
0 Replies