Collector with Trimble R2- record correct GNSS Receiver name to metadata?

01-24-2019 12:48 PM
AaronWorthley1
Occasional Contributor II

I'm setting up a Trimble R2 to work with Collector on a Samsung Android phone. I've connected to the receiver via Trimble's GNSS Status App, left Collector on "Integrated Receiver" (I havn't found great instructions, but this appears to be the way it works even though selecting the R2 as location provider is an option). In collector, I appear to be getting the correct GNSS positions from the R2 rather than the phone, but when I record a point, the GNSS metadata entry for Receiver Name is the phone, not the R2. How do I get the right receiver name to record so that I can confirm that the correct receiver was used for the data collection after the fact?

I tried with iOS and found that it DOES work there to connect to the R2 in Collector, and the Receiver is correctly recorded in the metadata attribute. If I try to connect to the R2 in Android (8.0), the Receiver disconnects in GNSS Status, and no position is shown in Collector.

25 Replies
deleted-user-CCwlRz1p1P2h
New Contributor II

Thank you! You're a life saver!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Per this documentation,You must use the Trimble Mobile Manager app instead of the GNSS Status App to configure your R2 Receiver with an Android device.

Prepare for high-accuracy data collection—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Other links to configure your receiver to work with Collector:

Use this as a guide to walk you through the Trimble Mobile Manager App: Orthometric Heights with Trimble GNSS & Esr... | Trimble 

Configuring GNSS Coordinate Systems: Configuring the correct GNSS Receiver Coordinat... | Trimble 

I have also found that you do not have to change the receiver settings in Collector. When the Integrated receiver is selected, collected points will register the receiver as the R2.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
BostonSnyder
New Contributor

Unfortunately this will not work, or at least does not for our workflow. Android devices per the instructions require you to set the mock location to Trimble Mobile Manager inside of the developer options, and to set the receiver to integrated. It also says to add the receiver if using a Trimble R2 like we currently are. When selecting the receiver, it says no receiver is found once opening up your map. Using the integrated setting however shows the mock location being projected through the integrated receiver and allows for all GNSS fields to be collected, but will only display the model of the phone and not the model of the receiver. I have tried to connect to the receiver without setting mock location, but Trimble Mobile Manager forces you to enable mock locations in order to share the corrections with any other applications. 

0 Kudos
DavidBrooks5
New Contributor III

Interestingly I'm having the exact same issue with the Trimble Catalyst. I have my Samsung galaxy s20 set for mock GPS and using TMM to send the location data to Collector, but when collecting points in Collector, it's not populating all the esrignss fields and it's identifying the GPS receiver as the Samsung internal GPS. 

Also, I've experience similar behaviour as another person on this thread, whereby I can see an RTK fix in TMM, but as soon as i open collector, the fix is lost and TMM refreshes it's satellite list. The only workaround was to have both apps open in split screen mode, which prevented TMM from refreshing. Not ideal.

Also, after a random spell on site where collector refused to receive TMM positioning, I restarted all apps and my device, and then subsequently, all the points I collected were logging catalyst as the receiver in the metadata, and it was logging all the ancillary attributes as well. I'm praying that this functionality will continue when I'm next out on site!!

0 Kudos
JosephGrossman
New Contributor III

Hi  Maylan Nguyen I am having some issues with using an R2 with new collector. Works fine in collector classic, but is giving me an error "Unable to submit error - 1 or more attributes failed". Any thoughts?

Thanks!Joe

0 Kudos
JosephGrossman
New Contributor III

We were able to resolve the issue. The R2 unit name was too long for the ESRI field. Once we changed the name of the unit wirelessly though the setting on the R2 device we were able to submit data.