Collector vs. ArcGIS for iOS

04-22-2013 11:37 AM
deleted-user-pSEFA8qSxLCv
New Contributor III
In terms of function and management, what are the differences between Collector for ArcGIS and the ArcGIS for iPhone/Android apps?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BillWiesepape
New Contributor II
In terms of function and management, what are the differences between Collector for ArcGIS and the ArcGIS for iPhone/Android apps?

The chart on this page may be helpful: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#/Web_map_client_capabilities/010q000000n...
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS for iOS is no longer under development (feel free to correct me, but I've not seen an update for quite a while).

ArcGIS for iOS allows us to send links to our users, to take them directly to their map. A very helpful feature. Collector allowed this for a time. At some point this ability was removed.

ArcGIS for iOS will find and open any AGOL (ArcGIS Online) / Portal map, regardless of content. Collector will only open maps that contain at least one feature service. In other words, maps without a feature service are not found by Collector.

Collector has a setting for desired GPS accuracy while ArcGIS for iOS does not.

Searching for maps can be focused to just your AGOL organization or your Portal in Collector. I haven't found a way to focus the searching in ArcGIS for iOS. In ArcGIS for iOS, searches for maps return quite a few unwanted results.

Merry Christmas,

Paul Lohr

0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Paul is correct, ArcGIS for iOS (AKA The Green App) is no longer in active development. I would strongly encourage you to move over to Explorer for ArcGIS which will have all the feature functions of the Green App and a more modern approach to the UX/UI. Explorer is under active development and will be supporting offline map use in the next release.

Collector is a mobile application focused on field data collection and is really targeted at those who need to collect and update their GIS data in the field.

Hope this helps and happy holidays,

-Brent

deleted-user-pSEFA8qSxLCv
New Contributor III

Thanks, Paul. This question is actually a few years old now But this thread and another one I'd cross-posted somewhere else continues to get hits despite any real answers, so appreciate the update

0 Kudos