Collector: use related layer to symbolise feature

Jump to solution
09-04-2015 10:40 AM
ShaunGibbins2
New Contributor III

In the post below it describes using ArcGIS Collector to carry out inspections of assets by creating a relationship to an inspection table. This works really well and is a good way to separate asset edits from maintenance operations, however I cannot work out how to update the symbology to display when an asset has had an inspection.

Related Tables – Exploring New Ways to use Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog

If you have a large number of assets then you need a method for the field works to keep track of what has been inspected and what is still due, I originally thought of having a 'inspection_status' field that would be set at the start of the season to 'Due' and would have a default setting of 'Not Due' so that every time an inspection took place the field value would automatically change from 'Due' to 'Not Due' without the field worker having to do anything other than fill in their inspection form.

I was then going use the icons below depending on which value the feature had for 'inspection_status' The only problem is that this field is in the inspection table and not accessible from the feature class to use to set the symbology!!!! Arrrgh

YellowEmpty.png Due

Yellow.png Not Due

Does anyone know another way to achieve the same result please or could this be considered for a future enhancement.

51 Replies
SFM_WillBrewer
New Contributor III

ESRI recently introduced enhanced capabilities for joining features in ArcGIS Online that addresses this exact issue. It is not perfect. The join layer cannot be taken offline, but it is a great start!

Visualizing related data with Join Features in ArcGIS Online 

AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor

At this time, I have found a solution that works.

See my branched thread:

https://community.esri.com/message/773010-symbolizing-feature-class-using-related-table-values