Collector symbology

Jump to solution
10-13-2014 12:15 PM
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Can the symbology in a collector map use two fields or more to determine shape and color of a point?  For example, one field would contain a type category (A, B or C) and another field would contain a status ( Yes, No, Unknown).  For a small group of types and status, I typically combine them into a single field for Collector and use that field for the symbol.  In ArcMap I would set the symbol color and shape using multiple attribute fields.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Joe, thank you for the topic link.  It contains helpful information.

Symbology using multiple attributes (or quantify by category) is not supported in map services such as AGOL and Collector as it can affect drawing performance.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

Randy:

Have you seen this ArcGIS Online help topic?

Change symbols—Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Joe, thank you for the topic link.  It contains helpful information.

Symbology using multiple attributes (or quantify by category) is not supported in map services such as AGOL and Collector as it can affect drawing performance.

0 Kudos
JoeFlannery

Randy:

Are you sure symbology by attribute is not supported in Collector?  I am using Collector with Feature Services that are symbolized by attribute (see below).

FeatureService.JPG

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Joe,

Symbology by a single attribute is supported.  I wanted to use multiple attributes, which is not supported.  Basically, I wanted to use one field to set the shape of the symbol and a second field to set the color of the symbol. As a simple example, Field1 would contain either "circle", "square" or "triangle" and Field2 would contain either "yellow", "red" or "green".

However, since my set of symbols and colors is small (9 in my example), I can put them all in one field.  Values 1-3 would use a circle, 4-6 a square and 7-9 a triangle.  Then 1 would be a yellow circle, 2 a red circle and 3 a green circle., etc.

For a lot of colors and shapes, using two fields would better organize the choices for the user.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
0 Kudos
GISSupport3

We would also like to see more symbology options supported by ArcServer.

PeteCrosier

More complex symbology would be great (on multiple fields, end-of-line symbols, etc) - let us see how it affects drawing performance and make decisions based on it!