Collector Subtypes Not Working

01-15-2018 08:37 AM
JohnSmith40
New Contributor III

I am attempting to use subtypes for collecting utility features in Collector. However, when I go to collect a feature in the field (i.e. a manhole), the Subtype field is a textbox and has the default code ("1"). I was hoping to have a drop down list with all subtypes listed as their description label rather than their code label ("Standard" instead of "1").

Our data is stored in an enterprise geodatabase. I've published the feature classes as a service from within an MXD.

Thank you for your time and help.

Tags (2)
14 Replies
GISadmin17
New Contributor

Hi Colin, 

I have been able to get subtypes and domains to work on my iOS device (Collector for ArcGIS version 19.0.2), but my customers have android and they are reporting that the subtypes and domains are not working correctly for them. It seems to be working properly for the point feature classes, but the polygon feature classes it is pulling incorrect domain values for a couple of the subtypes. 

One of my customers is using a samsung phone with Android version 6.0.1 and Collector 18.0.3 Build 1033. Another customer is using a phone with Android v 7.1.1. and is also reporting the same issues. 

I also tried testing the subtypes and domains on the hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online and it seems to all be working properly so I'm not sure why it is working for ArcGIS Online and iOS, but isn't working for android. 

Do you have any information or idea, or fixes for these customers to use this Collector application in the field? 

0 Kudos
DanJoyce1
New Contributor II

I'm having issues implementing an existing data schema (with sub-types and domains) into the latest version of Collector for ArcGIS (V19.1.0) running on an iPhone 7 (IOS 12.3.1).  The schema has been working flawlessly in Collector Classic for the last two years.  I've made a minor schema change (one new field and a new domain for one feature layer).  It published to AGO with no issues.  It works fine in Collector while in online mode, but fails to download the layer when adding an Offline area.  The ability to work offline is a must have for my users.  A support ticket has been raised for this issue.

Looks like I'm going to have to stick with Collector Classic even though I really want to use vector tile packages for my basemap!  The only other alternative is to explode the sub-types into individual feature layers as per the comment by Robert Borchert, but that has it's own problems. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

This comment is now terribly helpful but we decided as an organization quite a long time ago to not use subtypes anymore for our Enterprise GIS.  Reasoning is that in the long run Subtypes tend to cause more issues then they solve.

Like the subtypes for Electric Distribution in the data model we use we were better served by simply having a feature class for OH and another or UG and then designating by phase. 

0 Kudos
ErickPoundFDNY
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

We also looked at that but we're attempting to run a citywide all-hazards IMT on collector and the number of different types of points makes that someone unruly as well. The subtypes solves that to some extent save for the problem described above. If there isn't some movement on that front we may have to attack that in a somewhat similar fashion. I'm just trying to avoid have 10 point feature classes + 10 polygon + 10 line...or whatever it would work out to be. It's constantly in flux also compounding the problem.

0 Kudos
ErickPoundFDNY
New Contributor II

Hi Colin,

Sorry to post this to the thread but I'm unable to send you a direct message.

0 Kudos