Collector Subtypes Not Working

01-15-2018 08:37 AM
JohnSmith40
New Contributor III

I am attempting to use subtypes for collecting utility features in Collector. However, when I go to collect a feature in the field (i.e. a manhole), the Subtype field is a textbox and has the default code ("1"). I was hoping to have a drop down list with all subtypes listed as their description label rather than their code label ("Standard" instead of "1").

Our data is stored in an enterprise geodatabase. I've published the feature classes as a service from within an MXD.

Thank you for your time and help.

Tags (2)
14 Replies
RichAsh
New Contributor II

Hey John, can I ask you what part of FL you are in? We are planning some Collector with High Accuracy GPS/GNSS workshops and/or meetings in the near future and would love to connect with you about these types of questions you have been posing.  Great stuff!  If you want to take this offline you can email me at rich@geomobileinnovations.com

Thanks!  

Rich Ash

0 Kudos
ScottFierro2
Occasional Contributor III

Unless we missed this in an update (possible but sort of doubt it) then Collector still doesn't support domains on subtypes. We have a workflow that has required us to utilize 12 different map services all downloaded as part of a single Collector Map to get close to the desired result. We've been waiting for Collector to support this for well over a year so we can scrap this massive resource hungry process and go to a single map service.

deleted-user-M0V5-IqusbtS
New Contributor III

I am having a similar issue in that my subtypes (using for 1 point/1 line feature class published from fGDB) are showing up in the line hosted feature service in Collector but not the point HFS...both were working fine in Collector until I republished recently (last month) and now only the line subtypes are being honored in Collector.  Has anything changed in the recent release (using Collector v 17.0.4, build 1030)?  

Note - all of the subtypes work great in AGOL web map editing session (subtypes are honored as expected).

AndrewNeil1
New Contributor III

Similar issue here.  Subtypes with domains set up.  Choose a tree "Genus" and should only have certain "Species" to select, but in Collector the domains for Species do not populate.  My workaround will be to remove the Subtype and just have a massive domain of all Species.  

Commented on your post to show interest that this be resolved in Collector.  

Thanks all for the information. 

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

I know this thread is over a year old but I wanted to comment to see if anyone is still having issues. We absolutely support the use Subtypes and Domains in Collector and have for some time; there have been known issues in the past. If someone is still having issues please comment with the platform and version you are having an issue with and I can take a look. Thanks!

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
ErickPoundFDNY
New Contributor II

Hi Colin,

I have indeed gotten Collector to use subtypes but with one caveat. When I have the features symbolized by the subtype field it works as expected. However, my real goal is to have them symbolized by the point type (or line, or polygon). If I symbolize by the point type (my desired goal) then the subtypes are no longer honored. This is a pretty big priority for us at this point. And, of course if I'm doing something wrong to make that happen at point in the right direction would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
DebMcIlwrath
New Contributor III

Hi Colin - Subtypes in Collector are definitely still an issue for us. First noticed this when publishing a new from Pro to hosted feature layer in AGOL (your servers) in April. Went back and checked previous layers, and the subtypes for those no longer work. Have looked at a variety of threads on this topic, and in some ESRI staff have indicated subtypes are not supported in AGOL/Collector while other staff indicate it should work and contact tech support.

The example someone provide above about tree species is an excellent example.

We are trying to use them for culvert inspections - the material type of the culvert determines the domain for several fields, and in the case of a couple of fields defaults the value to indicate that the field is not applicable for the chosen material type.

Have tried using the subtype field to determine the symbology as well as using 'location only' symbology but neither worked.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Would either of you be able to send me some sample data that you are using to reproduce this issue? Send me a direct message and we can discuss further steps for sharing. Thanks!

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
DebMcIlwrath
New Contributor III

I am also unable to message you directly - says I can only send messages to people who are following me?

0 Kudos