Select to view content in your preferred language

Collector Pros and Cons

02-26-2013 04:42 AM
JoelShegrud
New Contributor II
Howdy,

I have been using Collector now for about a month with great success. My company is considering launching the app on a much wider scale which seems to be a good idea, however from previous experiences I have found that new problems come out after employment that weren't caught in testing. I would like your input on pros and any cons (errors) you have encountered while using Collector. I will start the list below, thank you for your input.

Pros
Easy field collection and update of Feature Services
Tracking phones in the field
Ability to attach photos to features
Ability to navigate to features
The ease of updating the app through ArcGIS online
The simple interface
The ability to use the app on both Android and iOS
Integration with Dashboard

Cons
Can't stream vertices (no polygon and line features)
No disconnected editing
Limited documentation
Difficult sending maps to the phone (no option to import the map from ArcGIS online)
No ability to login as a user until the map link is shared
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
ManojGarg
New Contributor II

Hi , Few more cons

1.   Lack of snapping

2. Editing of line feature geometry is not very user friendly.

Thanks

Manoj

0 Kudos
ColinMurray1
New Contributor II

Currently track logs are used in Collector to primarily track employee's or the device.  However, tracks can benefit field staff by allowing them to navigate more efficiently and allow them to know where they have been especially if a feature wasn't digitized. I would like to see a track on the map screen similar to a generic Garmin unit or Arcpad. Currently the track is displayed as points and the lowest recording interval is too long in my opinion to help much with navigation.

Any plans to address this? Or has it already been addressed but I missed something?

Thank you

Colin

0 Kudos