Collector only working when connected to company network

Jump to solution
11-21-2014 11:24 AM
collindegueurce
New Contributor III

I have hosted feature service and using AGOL with collector. It was working just fine. For some reason now I can only access my maps is I am connected via wifi on my company network (same network the GIS server is on). If I try to access over cellular, I get error cannot load layer (times out). switch wifi back on and it works fine. connect to different wifi network and it cannot load layer. (settings are configured to download and sync over wifi AND cellular...even though I am not trying to sync). Any ideas? It just started happening. iPad Air - ios 8.1 - newest version of collector.

I have one of the redlands sample maps configured for collector also. It works fine regardless of how I am connected. Its only my hosted feature service maps that are affected.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
collindegueurce
New Contributor III

Looks like the answer was actually very simple. I had upgraded my Desktop version to the 10.3 pre-release while the server version is 10.2...When I published from 10.2.2 Desktop everything worked just fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Hosted ArcGIS Online services should not be impacted by your cell or public wifi network. If your service is coming from your internal network GIS server and cannot be reached on any external network, then the behavior you are seeing is expected. You can use a vpn app like Junos Pulse to be able to reach your internal services and be on an external network. The only other reason why a hosted service in map may fail to load would be due to the owner of the service not sharing the service to the same group the map is being shared so when other staff members try to view that map the layer will fail to load because they do not have access to it.

Russ

0 Kudos
collindegueurce
New Contributor III

I appreciate the quick answer. I tried changing the sharing from organization to everyone but have the same results. Also, the confusing thing is that these maps were working in collector for months without our having to be on the internal network. All of a sudden they are not, and nothing has changed with our network configuration. Very puzzling. I will try vpn access anyway and see what happens.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
collindegueurce
New Contributor III

Looks like the answer was actually very simple. I had upgraded my Desktop version to the 10.3 pre-release while the server version is 10.2...When I published from 10.2.2 Desktop everything worked just fine.

0 Kudos