Collector launches Navigator, then reflects navigation in Google Maps.

08-31-2017 10:44 AM
JuanLuera3
New Contributor III

I wanted to see if anyone has been successful with using the following workflow with Collector, Navigator and Google Maps.

1. Open webmap in Collector

2. Choose location to navigate

3. Select Directions and the application opens Navigator

3. Start navigation, then see and hear turn by turn directions within Google Maps.

Any thoughts or ideas on this will be helpful, or is anyone has had a workflow similiar to this work for them. Thanks, All!

Juan

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MicahBabinski
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Juan,

It would help to understand the business requirements for the workflow.

What is the purpose of Collector and Navigator in this workflow? Meaning, why not just use Google Maps?

If you need to integrate mapping, routing, and data collection, have a look at Workforce for ArcGIS. It does integrate Navigator, Collector, and Survey123.

Micah

JuanLuera3
New Contributor III

Micah,

Thanks for your prompt respond on my post. We have a customer that is looking to integrate all three products in their day to day workflow. They want to take advantage of using the webmap in Collector, then acquiring the navigation portion in Navigator but ultimately reflect the routing and turn by turn voice navigation in Google Maps.

I hope this clarifies things a bit more for you.

I will take a look into your suggestion of Workforce for ArcGIS but the user is looking to leverage this in Google Maps. I was just reaching out to see if anyone has had a similar workflow with success or not. Thanks, Micah!

Juan

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Juan, 

Can you clarify the use case? I'm having trouble thinking of the intended use.

Additionally, I'm a bit concerned about the request -- are you asking for a workflow for navigator to be a proxy to Google Maps? I.e. Collector sends the origin/destination to Navigator, Navigator then pushes these to Google Maps & builds the most effective route, then sends that route to Navigator and Navigator displays the route and movement in real time and Google Maps narrates throughout the trip? Is that the ideal scenario or am I misunderstanding?

0 Kudos
JuanLuera3
New Contributor III

Andrew,

I hope this clarifies what we are looking to do, from Collector sends the origin/destination to Navigator displays the route as you mentioned. This will then display the route within Google Maps to navigate with driving directions including voice turn by turn. Overall the last big part in this sequence is to have everything at the end within Google Maps.

Thanks, Andrew!

Juan

0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Juan,

I am not sure what the need for Google Maps is in the workflow at all. Collector will pass a location to Navigator and the Navigator app will generate a route and start navigation to that destination complete with turn by turn orations at each maneuver.

Is the request to:

A: Have the Google Maps App orate the directions as Navigator guides the end user through the route which was generated in Navigator? If so, this is not supported by either app and I would like to understand further the root cause of the request, maybe there are enhancement we could make to Navigator to alleviate/satisfy this request.

-or-

B: Have Collector pass a location directly to the Google Maps app so Google Maps can generate the route, guide the end user through it and orate each specific maneuver?

- or-

C: Something I am completely missing ... wouldn't be the first time 🙂

Thanks,

-Brent

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Brent,

I think option B is in the Collector Aurora beta.

0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Yes it is you can determine which app handles requests for directions.

JuanLuera3
New Contributor III

Brent,

We have a customer that is looking to use Collector and Navigator, then in turn reflect the routes in Google Maps. We are just trying to provide all of the options o the customer, that was why I posted this thread. I appreciate all the insight and suggestions provided above. Thanks, Brent!

- Side Note: I did just post the following and I would be curious to get your thoughts on it.

https://community.esri.com/message/741521-can-a-geodatbase-be-encrypted-after-going-offline-with-col... 

Juan

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Juan,

There may be similar functionality in the Collector Aurora beta. 

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/collector-for-arcgis/blog/2017/09/06/the-auror... 

email collectorbeta@esri.com to participate.

0 Kudos