collector - how to update location when editing pointfeature

Jump to solution
01-15-2020 04:36 AM
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

We have 600+ point features with location accuracy of about 6 meter, collected years ago using an older gps device. The points are really hard to find as they are scattered throughout the forest and consist of pipes flush with the ground, in practice a metal detector is a must to  find them.

Recently we purchased an Arrow 100 which offers sub-meter location data and I want to update all old points so our staff can find them much faster.

When I select, edit and submit a point in Collector the actual location is not updated. The only way as far as I found is edit, then move the crosshair by hand and then 'update  point' and 'submit' This is a manual process, slow and it introduces it's own errors.

Is there any way to edit the point feature and update the location to the data available from the gnss antenna automatically?

I also noticed the 'extra fields' (Prepare for high-accuracy data collection—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation ) like horizontal accuracy don't get filled in when I edit a point, they only occur when creating a new point but all I want to do is update the location of the existing points. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for reading, regards.

Bert

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bert! When you start editing an existing feature, Collector won't change its location as you might just be making attribute updates. In your case, you want your current location used as the point's new location. So you'll need to do the following:

1. Start editing the existing point, as you've been doing.
  2. Tap the GPS button on the map  to center the location target over your current location, coming from your GPS (assuming you've got it set up to be used -- see Prepare for high-accuracy data collection—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation)
  3. Tap Update Point (the big blue button) to move the point to your location. 
  4. Tap Submit to save your changes.

In your current steps, where you are moving the crosshair, you're manually providing a location for the point, which is why the GPS metadata fields aren't populated. In this workflow I've put above, using the GPS button means the point's location is going to come from the GPS, and those fields will be populated.  

Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bert! When you start editing an existing feature, Collector won't change its location as you might just be making attribute updates. In your case, you want your current location used as the point's new location. So you'll need to do the following:

1. Start editing the existing point, as you've been doing.
  2. Tap the GPS button on the map  to center the location target over your current location, coming from your GPS (assuming you've got it set up to be used -- see Prepare for high-accuracy data collection—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation)
  3. Tap Update Point (the big blue button) to move the point to your location. 
  4. Tap Submit to save your changes.

In your current steps, where you are moving the crosshair, you're manually providing a location for the point, which is why the GPS metadata fields aren't populated. In this workflow I've put above, using the GPS button means the point's location is going to come from the GPS, and those fields will be populated.  

Esri Education Team
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kylie,

Thanks!

0 Kudos
KeithGerhartz1
Occasional Contributor II

This is not working. I select a feature, start editing, clcik the GPS arrow. The cursor move to the location but not the point. If I click Update Point nothing happens. Also tried just submitting and the point does not move. Maybe I am missing something?

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Keith - when you click update point, you should see the feature shows at the new location. Do you see the issue at online map or offline map? You can try both and see if both happen. 

Does it happen at iOS or Android?  You can also try to share a video if you can. 

0 Kudos
KeithGerhartz1

This is an online map in our portal. Nothing happens when I click Update Point. This is on an iPad Air. Bug.

0 Kudos
KeithGerhartz1

Video attached

0 Kudos