Collector Doesn't Launch

01-17-2013 09:52 AM
MattKennedy
Esri Contributor
I followed the directions under Author a map for collection.  When I tap the link in the email on my iPhone (4s), Safari opens to a blank page, and the collector app does not launch.

Am I missing a step needed to make the Collector app "kick in" when I tap the link I email to myself?

Thanks,

MK
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
IanKramer
New Contributor III
Hi Everyone, I am having a similar problem.  I have created a map and operations view on ArcGIS.com.  I created the arcgis-collect schema link as stated in the documentation.   When I click on the link on my phone, I get "Web Page Not available. The web page at email://UrlBlockedError.aspx might be temporarily down.  My phone is a Samsung Nexus with Android 4.1.1.  I also tested that same email on a different Android phone and I get the same error.  Collector is already installed on both devices.  I did make sure that Collector was running in the background before I clicked on the link.

My user account on ArcGIS.com is different from my gmail account on my Android phone.  However, on my phone I went into Settings > Accounts and added my ArcGIS.com account as an "ArcGIS" account, pointing to my Organization's URL (which was listed in my profile on ArcGIS.com).  It authenticated correctly and shows up in the list.  I don't think the account has anything to do with my error, but I wanted to state that on here anyway.

The format of my link that I sent to my Android via email:

arcgis-collect://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/b5c7b23eb70449e4910c1bcd3a79e189/data

Am I missing a step?  Is there another way to access my Web Map in the Collector App?

Thank you!

Ian
0 Kudos
IanKramer
New Contributor III
Ok, I found out a little more.  This error "The web page at email://UrlBlockedError.aspx might be temporarily down" is actually something my email server puts in after I sent the email.  So it was not related to Android.  However, I tried to send the link (created by inserting a link) Gmail to Gmail and it strips out the link reference (converts it to plain text).  I also just tried sending the link, but Gmail doesn't treat the whole thing as a link (doesn't include the arcgis-collector part in the link).  So I tried to copy and paste this directly into the web browser and it does a google search on it, rather than open it in collector. 

Any ideas?

Ian
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you send yourself a email to the Gmail account using a URL like this:

http://org-name.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=item-id-here

this will kick off the browser and be able to redirect the map to the Collector app if it is a collector ready map with application properties.

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
IanKramer
New Contributor III
Hi Russ,
That worked!  I appreciate the help with this, thank you.  You guys may want to change the Help to use this method instead for Android.  I think this is easier to implement.   

Ian
0 Kudos
EndaMcLoughlin
New Contributor
Hi.
I'm having similar problems with my iPhone 4s (iOS 6.1).
I send a link ( http://bit.ly/WXPdU1) via Outlook to myself and when i click on it within the phone, safari opens a blank page. I briefly see the collector toolbar, before it dissappears.
I  have checked the application settings and have as suggested.
I have cleared cookies, and have Collector open in background.
Any ideas?
Regards
Enda
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you edit your link to look like this: http://org-name.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=item-id-here or use the arcgis-collect:// link. The iPhone will work with both of these URLs.

Hope this helps you out.
Russ
0 Kudos
ChadMinteer
Occasional Contributor
I'm having a similar problem on a new Samsung Galaxy (SCH-I535).

I created a map on ArcGIS.com that contains a feature service (hosted in ArcGIS.com).  I verified that the application settings are configured.  I emailed myself a link.  I installed the Collector app for Android.  When I click the link on the phone, the browser opens but never prompts for credentials, and the Collector app doesn't open.
0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Chad -- Are you using the arcgis-collect:// link, or the http:// link? Not all email apps support the arcgis-collect schema links.
Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
JimMeuse
New Contributor
I am having a variation of this problem.  When I click on the link (created by "Link to this map" option within ArcGIS Online), a browser window opens (on my Nexus 7) and goes to ArcGIS Online and shows my map; but of course I want it to open in Collector, not a browser.  Is there some setting I could check?

I also tried the arcgis-connect: link method, but the arcgis-connect prefix is not included in the link, only the following www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/myid/data

Jim
0 Kudos
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III
You've got to use the following hyperlink.  Replace mapid.

arcgis-collect://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/<mapid>/data

AND on Android you have to choose your mail app.  Some don't work.  Gmail and HTC mail don't work my htc.
0 Kudos