Collector Crashing on Photo Capture in iOS7

10-28-2013 12:37 PM
DominickCisson
Occasional Contributor
Trying out collector with a rather simple sign collection setup, and it seems to crash inconsistently on iOS7 when trying to capture a photo for an attachment.  Images captured using the front-facing (low resolution) camera on an iPhone or iPad seem to work fine.  Those captured using the rear, higher resolution camera often crash Collector.  The crash occurs specifically after taking the photo, and then clicking "Use Photo" to attach the photo to the point.  About 60-70% of the time, attaching a high-res photo simply kills Collector.  Has anyone else experienced this?
Tags (2)
27 Replies
DanielEstrada
New Contributor II

Shane,

What size of "memory" storage does your iPad have? Make sure you don't have a lot of extraneous apps on the ipad that take up space. Keep your works zones small because you are going to need space to store the attached photos.

I had the exact issue with the 4, 4S, 5 and the iPad. Once I limited my space and storage and used the same work around that Cameron Smith discusses above, it worked ok. I have updated to 6, 6+ and an iPad Mini 3 and so far everything has worked out fine. But I still keep my work zones small and keep only the apps I need on it.

It's not a simple fix but maybe it will help you.

0 Kudos
ShaneStenhjem
New Contributor

The storage size on these devices are 32GB and 64GB. We could hypethetically make the work areas smaller but that makes breaking the year up into multiple jobs. Not like we all don't have enough going on already. I should also mention that these devices have been working offline, no cellular. I am going to try activating them to see if that helps offload some data. Maybe caching such a large amount of data on the devices causing an issue? Any other ideas would be accepted.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ShaneStenhjem
New Contributor

I thought I would come back and give everyone an update. Since we enabled the SIM Card on the device the what has improved is the time needed to Upload and Download of the days work for the user, probably half hour in the am and pm. The app stills crashes if the user "goes too fast." By this I mean taking photos and filling in the forms. Kind of funny to ask a user to slow down. I will come back again after a month or so with another update.

0 Kudos
DanielEstrada
New Contributor II

Shane,

My data team noticed that they were getting errors on photos if they attempted to zoom in on a feature. Have you been experiencing this issue with your data collection. In some cases zooming in will crash collector.

0 Kudos
ShaneStenhjem
New Contributor

Daniel,

My inspector said that it is usually crashing when they try to sync. I have seen pictures they have taken that were obvious zooms. I will ask again when they get into the office.

0 Kudos
ShaneStenhjem
New Contributor

I thought I would return once again to give an update to our status using collector and the issue of crashing. My GIS Analyst and I went into the field with our inspectors to see first hand what was happening. Within the first inspection the app crashed when trying to take the first picture. After fumbling through using the iPad Mini I handed the inspector a iPad Air 2 to try. The rest of that day went well, only 2 crashes compared to the dozen the inspector said would probably have happened with the Mini. So this is a good step forward.

Now he is saying that using Collector when he takes pictures sometimes the photos connect to the feature and sometimes they just go to the iPad's Camera Roll. This may need to be approached in another post, but wanted to state that here.

So to wrap it up. The iPad Air 2 gets 1/10th of the app crashes as the iPad Mini3 did throughout a full 8 hour day.

0 Kudos
MichaelBowers
New Contributor

My Company is also experiencing issues using the camera/add photo feature within the Collector application, using the iPad mini and iPad mini 3.  (Both using the latest Collector and IOS update 8.4).  Most of the time as soon as our inspectors choose add attachment and click the camera button to take a picture, it crashes the entire app and sends them back to the iPad home screen.  This has been a recurring issue since day 1.  I have opened many support tickets with ESRI support, as well as had many phone conversations about this issue to which I/we had no avail.  This is most certainly an issue with the Collector app communicating with the IOS hardware/software as I can use many other apps with the camera and have no issues.

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

I have a little bit of insight from my own troubleshooting of the camera related crashes.

• Zooming the camera works for the first four photos. Zoom on the 5th photo = crash
  • This happened using Large and Medium sized photos and on two different ipad airs.
  • I don't think that the resolution/data size is the culprit. It seems to be zoom related.
  • Without zooming we tried sending eight photos and experienced no issues.

Above it was mentioned that you could use an aftermarket camera app. This makes sense since you would necessarily be taking photos outside of Collector thus you would not be zooming with Collector being active (can't crash if it isn't on, right?). I would speculate that you really don't need a different camera app but if you need to zoom in and out while taking photos, that you would need to exit Collector first (for photos beyond the fourth).

Thoughts?

0 Kudos