Collector Crashing on Photo Capture in iOS7

10-28-2013 12:37 PM
DominickCisson
Occasional Contributor
Trying out collector with a rather simple sign collection setup, and it seems to crash inconsistently on iOS7 when trying to capture a photo for an attachment.  Images captured using the front-facing (low resolution) camera on an iPhone or iPad seem to work fine.  Those captured using the rear, higher resolution camera often crash Collector.  The crash occurs specifically after taking the photo, and then clicking "Use Photo" to attach the photo to the point.  About 60-70% of the time, attaching a high-res photo simply kills Collector.  Has anyone else experienced this?
Tags (2)
27 Replies
DanielEstrada
New Contributor II
This might be a repeat but I am having issues of the photo capture crashing the Collector App on my iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, these ware the devices provided by my agency. They are running on iOS 7.1.1 and Collector App v 10.2.3.
Collecting the features without a photo works with no issue.
Collecting with a photo crashes right as the photo is taken. Yet no photo is collected in the phone.

The Collector App is created using desktop 10.1.

Any assistance offered would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
EricIto
New Contributor III
This might be a repeat but I am having issues of the photo capture crashing the Collector App on my iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, these ware the devices provided by my agency. They are running on iOS 7.1.1 and Collector App v 10.2.3.
Collecting the features without a photo works with no issue.
Collecting with a photo crashes right as the photo is taken. Yet no photo is collected in the phone.

The Collector App is created using desktop 10.1.

Any assistance offered would be greatly appreciated.

Can you provide any more insight into this? I tried for about an hour today to reproduce this on an iPhone 4 running 7.1.1 and an iPhone 4S running 7.1 and was unsuccessful. I tried this with both online and offline maps as well as multiple photo attachments.

Does it crash with all maps? Just online? Just offline?

If it's a specific map, is there anyway we can get access to it in order to debug this?
0 Kudos
JessicaGooch1
Occasional Contributor
Hi-
I was also having this issue using an iPhone 4s.  When taking a picture it would crash the app.
I am now using an iPad Air and I have not had this happen in a while.  If it happens again during my use of Collector I will document hardware/software and let you know.
-Jessica
0 Kudos
DanielEstrada
New Contributor II
Eric,

I got in contact with Russ Roberts and supplied him the crash report from the iphone.
It appears to be a problem with the Collector App taking a lot of resources on the phone when using the camera.

The iphone I am using is a 16GB version with only 2.3 GB of free space on it. I am attempting to free up more space by removing unnecessary data from it to see if that makes a difference.

The Collector App will crash, whether its online or doing offline editing, any time the photo capture is activated on any map that allows attachments.

Jessica,
I suggest looking at the crash report from the 4S. The Collector App captures photos just fine on my iPad 2.

Daniel
0 Kudos
NickHetrick
Occasional Contributor II
We actually found that the iphone 4/4s have issues with attachments while the 5/5s were working fine. As a workaround we downloaded an app to decrease the photo size and that seems to allow attachments to get posted most of the time now.
0 Kudos
CharmaleeSandanayake
New Contributor III
Hi Nick,
We are experiencing slow uploads on the LTE network but it works fine over wifi. What app did you use to decrease photo size?
Thanks,
Charmalee
0 Kudos
Cameron_Smith
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue on my Iphone 4S on ATT network, I dont have the issue on my samsung galaxy 4(Go Android!).  I found it interesting the app doesn't have the problem in the disconnected edit mode even when pushing multiple photos to the server. 

I tried the iphone app minima to reduce photo sizes, and that eliminated the crashing problem, but again that is one extra step.

ShaneStenhjem
New Contributor

Sorry to bring back a ghost from the grave, but we have just started testing the collector app and are experiencing crashing and losing of data. From what I have read above the issue was after pictures were taken and trying to associate to a feature. I have not witnessed the issue but my user has complained that the app slows as he goes along taking photos and then starts crashing. The way we use it we can take multiple photos per feature. We are using this as a "inspection" process for our features, so up to 100 features can be inspected in a day and multiple pics per feature are needed. The user only comes back to the office once a week. The last round there were 500 photos attached. The thought of not enough hard drive space was made but these are 64GB device and there was only 12% space used. When the user comes in this time we are going to send them out with a physical camera to try and eliminate the photo association issue.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

What device are you using? What is OS version? What is Collector version?

0 Kudos
ShaneStenhjem
New Contributor

We are using iPad mini Retina running 8.2. The collector app is version 10.3 Build 8.93. Sorry for leaving that out.

0 Kudos