Collector, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Server`

08-15-2013 11:04 AM
JessicaGooch
New Contributor
Does my organization need to have ArcGIS Server in order to use Collector?
I would like my field staff to be able to collect points, lines and polygons in the field using Collector and then have that data show up on both ArcGIS Online as well as be able to update my GIS database using Desktop.
Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
To be able to collect data you need to use either a feature service for your ArcGIS Server or a hosted feature service from AGOL. Using the ArcGIS Server will sync back to your enterprise geodatabase while AGOL hosted can be synced following a couple additional steps.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
JessicaGooch
New Contributor
Thanks Russ,

Is there anywhere that outlines the extra steps needed to take the information that was collected and sync it with ArcMap? 
This really may end up being a very useful tool if I can get the info that is collected in the field from AGOL to my personal
geodatabases. 

Any update on when lines and polygons will be supported?

-Jessica
0 Kudos
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor
The next release will add support for collecting lines and polygons, including streaming. We are targeting that release near the end of september
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Is there anywhere that outlines the extra steps needed to take the information that was collected and sync it with ArcMap?

In 10.1 & 10.2 you can sign into ArcMap with your Subscription account. Then you can bring your hosted feature service into the content panel and right click on the service and under Edit Features you will see "Create Local Copy for Editing" this will create a local geodatabase under your default ArcGIS folder. In 10.2 you are able to pull down attachments as well when following this workflow. You can also export your hosted service from AGOL as shapefile and CSV from the item page or you can run on the analysis tools in your web map and export that service out as a zipped gdb into your My Content of AGOL.

here is some documentation on the Create Local Copy:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//01m60000004s000000

Russ
0 Kudos