Collector App Error: "The shape must have a Z value"

Jump to solution
01-29-2016 08:42 AM
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

I am using the latest version of Collector with an iPad Air (iOS 9.2.1), and an Arrow 100 external receiver. I am using a offline map and everything seems to be fine. When I try to add a point in a layer called "locate" and then hit the submit button, I get an error saying "The shape must have a Z value". Using a different layer, I can gather a point and submit it with no problem. If I delete the offline map, and then use the map with data access, I can gather the point in the layer "locate" and submit it without any problems. I do not have any requirement to gather a z value. I'm not even sure what this "Z" pertains to. I assume an elevation maybe. I wouldn't even know how to require this. I uploaded this layer from Arcmap 10.3 Basic several months ago and haven't changed anything. I can't say if this error would have been there since the original upload or not. We are new to Collector so I'm not sure if anyone has tried taking a point in this layer up till now, or not. Any thoughts? Would I just be best to delete the layer and upload it again?

Thanks

Travis

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NickHetrick
Occasional Contributor II

You have a vertical coordinate system assigned to this layer you will need to recreate it without the vertical coordinate system and you will not see that error in collector. If you need a vertical projection then you can use the setting in the service.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
NickHetrick

If your data has z values you will need to turn on a setting on your feature service to support editing data with z values. it can be done through catalog or manager it is just a check box in the service properties.

TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Nick.

This particular data set has no z values. I don’t know where this error has come from. I have had this data on my map for months and then all of a sudden I have an error involving z values. I think I will delete the layer, and then reload it to the site and see what happens. Thanks.

0 Kudos
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Nick,

After looking a little closer, this is what I discovered. I pasted a screen shot below. This seems to be what you were talking about.

I assume this error that I'm receiving has something to do with that check mark on the "Coordinates include Z values". I'm not sure why it is grayed out. I'm also using Desktop Basic so I'm not sure if that's the reason or not. This error only occurs if I try to take a point while using an Offline map in Collector. It seems to be the only layer that we have in our mapping that has this checked. I tried using the Copy Feature command in Data Management and Disabling the Z values in the output, but it does away with all the existing points in that layer. Not sure what to try except creating a new layer and adding the existing points back in. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
NickHetrick

You have a vertical coordinate system assigned to this layer you will need to recreate it without the vertical coordinate system and you will not see that error in collector. If you need a vertical projection then you can use the setting in the service.

NickHetrick

When you have a vertical coordinate system it will automatically be z enabled. You may be able to remove it but exporting to a layer without the vertical projection may be the quickest route.

CharlotteSmith2
New Contributor II

Hi Nick, I have the same problem as Travis:  I get an error saying "The shape must have a Z value" when I try to use Collector off line on my iPhone or anytime on my iPad.  Collector works perfectly when I'm connected to cell service on the iPhone.  Do you know the solution in Pro?  I don't have ArcMap on my computer and only use Pro.  Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
NickHetrick

Presentation1.jpg
turning this on and putting a zero in the box will resolve your issue since you have a vertical coordinate system assigned to your feature class.

TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Nick. I recreated and then uploaded it again and now I'm in good shape.

Is your screen shot from ArcServer? It doesn't look familiar to me.

Thanks again for your help.

Travis

NickHetrick

It is in arcserver also this is from a connection in arccatalog

0 Kudos