Collector and Windows 10 tablet, editable layers from ArcGIS for Server

Jump to solution
06-13-2017 11:41 AM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Esri community,

Our Public Works department are using both iOS and Windows 10 tablets with the Collector app to collect field data this summer.  When using the Collector app on an iOS tablet, everything works fine.  We can sign onto ArcGIS Online, access the Collector app, and the map service and layers on ArcGIS for Server are available to the app.  Today, we tried to use the Collector app on a Windows 10 tablet.  We were able to sign-on to ArcGIS Online, open the Collector app, and see the basemap.  However, when the map service and layers tried to load we received "The following layers are not accessible:" error and a list of the layers (see screen shot attached).  As both Collector and Windows 10 have been out for a while, I am hoping someone can point me to the information I need to remedy this issue.

Many thanks,

Jay

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayHodny

Hi Robert,

We are using Dell Latitude 12 Rugged Tablets (7202) with Windows 10 OS. They were rather expensive, and therefore you can imagine the angst when Collector (June release I believe) would not work as expected! Through considerable troubleshooting with Esri support, we determined that services coming from different server sources were the issue. When we (re)published the services on the same server, Collector would operate as expected on the Windows 10 tablets. Esri classified the issue as a bug. I have heard nothing further regarding a bug fix for the issue.

At the past Esri UC, I spoke with a colleague from a DOT agency in a western US state, who uses a large number of Samsung android tablets, wrapped in gumdrop cases. They were affordable and have worked flawlessly with Collector and the other Esri field apps.

Hope this helps,

Jay

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobBlash

Hi Jay,

Sorry I can't offer a solution (hopefully you've figured it out by now) but I'm curios about what windows 10 hardware you're using. I've been searching for the last few days and it's been harder than expected to find an affordable W10+4G+GPS tablet.

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Hi Robert,

We are using Dell Latitude 12 Rugged Tablets (7202) with Windows 10 OS. They were rather expensive, and therefore you can imagine the angst when Collector (June release I believe) would not work as expected! Through considerable troubleshooting with Esri support, we determined that services coming from different server sources were the issue. When we (re)published the services on the same server, Collector would operate as expected on the Windows 10 tablets. Esri classified the issue as a bug. I have heard nothing further regarding a bug fix for the issue.

At the past Esri UC, I spoke with a colleague from a DOT agency in a western US state, who uses a large number of Samsung android tablets, wrapped in gumdrop cases. They were affordable and have worked flawlessly with Collector and the other Esri field apps.

Hope this helps,

Jay

RobBlash

Jay,

Thank you, I appreciate the info. The Dell did make it to my list but not under the "affordable" column. Did you evaluate any other W10 devices that didn't work out? I'd welcome any additional info good or bad if you're willing to share.

My current  short list based on desktop evaluation is the Mobile Demand T1150 ($1740) or the Toughbook FZ-Q2 ($2499) but they are hardly affordable IMO. I still need to get my hands on them for actual testing.

We are trying to steer away from Android devices due to the segmentation between manufacturer skins on the OS, though it's good to know some folks are having success with the Samsung tablets.

Rob

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Robert,

The buying decision occurred before I started working here, so I don’t have any other information on tablets that may have been tested or considered. We do use iOS Apple devices, which work well with Collector, etc. I would fully vet any W10 device you are considering and installing Esri software on.

Regards,

Jay

0 Kudos