Collector and updating domains

08-01-2014 08:24 AM
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III

Hi

I have a Collector app.  The data are held on our ArcGIS Server and published via AGOL.  I have a domain that controls a reference field.

I have just spent the morning getting a nice Python script that recreates the Domain daily to add new possible values.  Yet, these values do not appear in Collector or when viewed in AGOL.  How can I force a refresh?

Cheers

ACM

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I've had this issue before.  What I have done in the past is just go back to the Map in AGOL removed the feature layers and readded them.  Not the best solution but is effective.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
AdrianMarsden

mmm not good - My domain updates every night with reference values that have been added to a different system.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Yeesh, that isn't good.  I've found Collector to be very handy but has a lot of little bugs.  Right now mine is saying update failed and I can't figure out the reason behind it.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
GaryMorris1
Occasional Contributor

When you take a map offline, in addition to creating a tile package for tiled layers, the system creates a replica of the geodatabase each feature layer, which is then downloaded to the device.  If the schema for the database is changed online and republished then the offline replicas will no longer be able to sync.

The best way to make a schema change when you have users with offline replicas is to make sure all offline maps have synced their local changes (so their updates get pushed up).  Then make your domain or schema change and republish.  The offline Collector users will then have to delete that map and download it again to get the new schema.  The basemap (or TPK) doesn't have to be deleted, that can be reused.

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Gary, do you think that perhaps this is my problem with not being able to update?

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
GaryMorris1
Occasional Contributor

Did you republish the feature service after you downloaded the map to your device?  If so, that's probably it.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I didn't download a map to my device.  I'm using Collector online.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden

Has anyone had any bright ideas regarding this one in the last 6 months?

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1

I think this question requires some more information to troubleshoot:

1. You update domains in the geodatabase. Can you confirm that the updated list of values is available in an ArcMap editing session?

2. You re-published/overwrote the feature service. Can you confirm that the updated list of values is available at the REST url of the feature service?

3. You still have that feature service as a layer in a webmap. Can you confirm that the updated list of values is available in an ArcGIS Online mapviewer editing session?

4. If you now refresh Collector, open the same webmap, and the updated list is not available in the Collector app's webmap this discussion is in the right Geonet "Place" and should be addressed by the Collector team. If you can't confirm point 1,2, or 3, then this issue is not caused by Collector and should be moved to a different "Place".

Hope this helps. Tobias

0 Kudos