Cannot download map with attachments

09-25-2016 04:23 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am trying to download a map offline for a rather large area but it keeps failing with an internal sever error.  This map has previously been working fine but now cannot be downloaded.  It seems to be a feature class that has attachments causing the problem. If I remove the layer from the map then it downloads fine.  Also if I take a smaller area offline it downloads fine.  Unfortunately this is not a solution as the larger area is required.

Is there a size limit as to how big a map or size of attachments can be downloaded at once?

The data is from a feature service hosted from our servers not AGOL, but i cannot see any errors in the logs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ScottFierro2
Occasional Contributor III

Believe some initial test scenarios we did ran into these issues. Can't say we overly tested or vetted any solutions because we were able to scale down the download sizes, etc. but from what I recall it was mostly resources driven at the web tier. I believe initially we saw the issue was not enough RAM on the IIS boxes but increasing it alone didn't seem to help and we ended up adding an extra vCPU. to go from 1 to 2 and those changes were enough to make the difference as our bottleneck was the web tier. Another thing to consider would be digging into all the config files and determining if your apache tomcat post & heap size maximums need to be adjusted. This article was part of what helped us determine the dual action of increasing the CPU and Memory might alleviate our issues.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/friis/2015/08/21/asp-net-segment-heap-sizes-or-how-much-virtual-mem...

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Scott,

Thanks for you suggestions. We added another CPU and some more RAM to our IIS box, but unfortunately are still getting the same error.  We did notice that we are running 10.2.2. version of the Web Adapter so are going to upgrade that and see how it goes.

ScottFierro2

Good luck, sounds good and yeah versionitis could certainly be a cause. My assumption was that there were no changes made to the environments so it went from something that worked to something that didn't. This would seem to indicate the only expected changing variable would be the data size of editable FC along with additional photo storage. Based on that and tour working vs non-working scenarios it seemed resources no longer met the need.

Probably something you have already checked but have you checked the total download size of the large version against available storage on the mobile device to ensure as your data has grown it's not now exceeding that resource?

0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2

Dean,

Were you ever able to come up with anything regarding this question?  We are also seeing issues with downloading maps with feature services that include attachments. I'm thinking the issue lies with the growing number and the size of attachments that it has to download to mobile device each time. I thought I read somewhere where a new version of collector was coming that could be configured to ignore existing attachments in the database when downloading the AGOL map.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I came across this bug that points to these large download errors coming from the Web Adaptor and not Collector.

BUG-000087670: Unable to download a file from ArcGIS output directo.. 

If you do not need to sync attachments or download new attachments from maps in Collector, you can enable the "Push Only" setting in Collector:

Go offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2

Dan,

I'm aware of that setting, it will still download all of the attachment photos with each map download.

0 Kudos