Can you author a Collector map to edit attributes only, not location?

08-10-2016 08:59 AM
Brian_Beyeler
New Contributor III

I want to be able to give editing access of the fields in Collector but not allow users to move the location of a point. Is there a way to lock the location so that the users cannot move the point or line, but allows them to still edit the attribute data? Thanks!

10 Replies
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian-

You can configure the service to only allow users to update the attribute information; this will be respected within Collector.  You'll want to update the setting below on the Item Details page of your service.

-Doug

Brian_Beyeler
New Contributor III

Doug,

Thanks for your help. That solves the problem which is great, but I noticed once you choose 'only update feature attributes' you can no longer add a new point. In my situation it would be ideal if the person in the field could edit the attributes and add a new point, but not be able to move the physical location of the point once it is collected. Is there a setting for that as well? Thanks!

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian-

No such setting exists, though you could limit them to only editing features that they have created.  One consideration is that you'd probably want to allow the field worker would be able to correct a mistake made during collection, which would not be possible in the desired scenario you described.

0 Kudos
GusGoodwin1
New Contributor

Hi Doug,

Can you please provide details on how to access this menu?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gus-

The settings above are accessed from the item details page of the feature service, and clicking the Settings tab  beneath the name of the service. You will need to be the owner of the item in order to do this (or an admin).

-Doug

GusGoodwin1
New Contributor

Hi Doug,

Thank you for the quick response. I’m seeing a different list of options under the settings page that I am looking at. Perhaps I’m in the wrong level? I double checked and I am the owner of this layer. Sorry for asking a tedious question, but could you direct me from the “My Content” page of AGOL?

Thank you very much for your time,

-Gus

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

No problem Gus.  One question: is your feature service hosted within ArcGIS Online, or from ArcGIS Server?

0 Kudos
GusGoodwin1
New Contributor

I believe from ArcGIS Server. Thanks!

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

In that case you'll need to go through Server Manager to configure the feature service.  I'd suggest reading through this topic: Editor permissions for feature services—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server