Can't zoom in to downloaded map in Collector

06-02-2014 12:01 PM
TylerAntrup
New Contributor
We've created a downloadable map to do an offline parcel survey for a small town.  When I download the map at the town scale, everything downloads fine and it all works, but you can't zoom in to get the smaller parcels.  Is there something I'm missing to get it to zoom or do you just have to download it at a much smaller scale?

Currently testing this on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Running Android 4.1.2 and Collector version 10.2.3, build 577
Tags (2)
20 Replies
JacobTully1
New Contributor III

So at this point I have created a tile scheme "tilescheme.xml" but am not clear on a workflow to use the .xml scheme to create a .tpk to eventually transfer to the mobile device. Any additional help, greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
JacobTully1
New Contributor III

Russell, I spoke (typed) too soon.  I see now that I can point the Tile Package dialogue to "a tiling scheme file" via the tile format drop down.  Again, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

no sweat anytime!

0 Kudos
JustinFritz1
New Contributor II

What would be even better would be if Collector gave you the option of using no basemap.

This would mean you could zoom in as far as you like without any restrictions from the basemap.

As explained above you can create your own but this takes space on the device and needs to be loaded individually.  Would be so much easier to just have a no basemap option on the app toolbar.

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

We found a workaround in case you are interested :

Collector with no basemap

Of course, it would be better to have an out of the box solution though !

0 Kudos
Yann-EricBoyeau
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Great news, I tried the 10.4 Beta today and ESRI finally fixed the zoom in problem.

You can now zoom in as much as you want, whatever the level of detail of your basemap or tpk.

BrianMathys
New Contributor III

Is this true on a Windows tablet as well?

0 Kudos
BrianMathys
New Contributor III

I am using Collector on a Windows 10 tablet. I am having the same trouble where I cannot zoom into further detail than what the offline map was downloaded with. I have two questions:

1. It seems as though there is no way to access the "online" version of the map once it is downloaded to a windows device. Therefore, you are limited to the resolution of the downloaded map once it is downloaded to your device. Is that correct or am I missing something?

2. When downloading a map, the resolution (i.e., the detail I can zoom in to) is limited, not by the file size, but by the level of detail the app allows. This is not the case on the iOS app, but is for Windows 10. Can this be fixed?

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian-

Within Collector when you are working with an online map (one you have not downloaded to your device), you can utilize both online and on device basemaps.  However, when working with on device maps, you can only use basemaps you're downloaded to your device.

One note, with the upcoming Collector 10.4 release we will support zooming in beyond the minimum scale of your basemap (resampling as needed) on all platforms.  This will apply to both online and on device basemaps.  Please join the beta program and give it a test drive, would appreciate your feedback.

-Doug

0 Kudos
AmandaOpp
New Contributor III

Doug,

I am interested in any more information you may have about improved zoom levels.  Currently we have a sideloaded basemap that works great but we have to jump through hoops with our IT department to have them install it.  We are not allowed to download iTunes on our work computers.  Any information about this would be great and I am interested in testing beta.  Can you direct me how to do that?

0 Kudos