Can data captured through iOS Collector be post processed?

05-11-2015 06:59 PM
ElliottCarson
New Contributor III

Hi, is it possible to post process data that is captured through the iOS collector?

If this is possible could someone outline the basic steps and software required, I'm able to get rinex/cors data as required.

Any help or advice is appreciated,

Elliott

0 Kudos
7 Replies
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III

Do you have a specific example(s)?

0 Kudos
ElliottCarson
New Contributor III

An example would be collecting offline data through the iOS collector for ArcGIS on my mobile. Once back in the office I would like to increase the accuracy of the data if possible by using some form of post processing software with Rinex site logs.

Do you know if this is possible?

0 Kudos
GISSupport3

Once you have the data back in your office, ignore how it was collected, and process the data the same way as you do now.

I have a horrible feeling I have missed your point 😕

0 Kudos
ElliottCarson
New Contributor III

Currently we use a Trimble device in ArcPad that collects an ssf file which we use to post process the data collected. We won't to move away from ArcPad onto the new platforms and retain a higher level of accuracy. I'm just not sure if capturing data through collector on iOS has the potential to be post processed?

Regards,

Elliott

0 Kudos
DanielSward
New Contributor III

On April 30 I was at a presentation in the Twin Cities where Esri staff talked about Collector and what new features are coming. Support for more high accuracy data collection - including point averaging and differential collection - is planned for 2016. They sort of hint at this here too.

0 Kudos
ElliottCarson
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Daniel,

Unfortunately 2016 is along way away, and there will be plenty of data captured before then. I'm looking for a solution that could be implemented today.

Regards,

Elliott

0 Kudos
MichaelStead

I suggest just looking into post processing of any ouput filetypes you might be able to generate aside from gpx or nmea. I looked into it for gpx files long ago. Not enough information in gpx/nmea file relating to the individual satellites signals. Fairly certain this is hardware/firmware level difference though, so seems fairly unlikely. Hard to find mention of it on here anymore, but ESRI used to stand for Environmental Sciences Research Institute... A Trimble is a professional tool with one very specific purpose... An iPhone is a gadget that you already had in your pocket..... And it has a GPS on it. Unless you turned off the cell/network "processing", your gpx locations would be based on a weighted average of trangulated location and satellite data.

Oh forgot.... You ever used point averaging? I remember thinking I was going to use that with a Garmin one time and live with crappier data. It would have taken a week to collect 20 locations to within a meter or two..... Skip.....

This link is possibly older, but same reasons apply.

poorgps